Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client refuses to pay

leachristine1992
Lea S Member Since: Jul 3, 2017
1 of 7

Hi,

I've just spent days proodreading a document for a client with extensive errors. The client is being charged a specific amount per word in sentences that have been corrected. The client was unaware of the amount of mistakes and now refuses to pay because they didn't think it would amount to that much. How do I handle this and get paid for my work? 

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
2 of 7

Was this a fixed price or hourly? 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 7

Is it an hourly contract or a fixed rate contract?

If hourly, you get paid for the hours you worked, provided you used the tracker correctly.

If it is a fixed rate contract you get paid the amount that is funded in Escrow.

The model you describe would be impossible to properly set up contractually on this platform.

leachristine1992
Lea S Member Since: Jul 3, 2017
4 of 7

It's none of the above, it's simply a set amount per words in sentences corrected. So what you're saying is that I won't be able to get paid unless it's hourly or set up contractually within Upwork?

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
5 of 7

@Lea S wrote:

It's none of the above, it's simply a set amount per words in sentences corrected. So what you're saying is that I won't be able to get paid unless it's hourly or set up contractually within Upwork?

Exactly,  If there is no contract under your "My Jobs" tab then you don't have a contract and Upwork can't get your money. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 7

@Lea S wrote:

Don't you have a contract? How was the client supposed to pay you without a contract?

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 7

Lea, when you work without an official Upwork contract in place it means that you are using the Upwork system improperly. This is your mistake. The client has no way to pay you. You worked for free.

But do not worry though! Other freelancers have made this mistake in the past. All you need to do is learn from your mistake and not do this again.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS