🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client refusing to pay in a fixed price contr...
Page options
shayan_n
Community Member

Client refusing to pay in a fixed price contract and threatening/blackmailing to give a poor review

I would like to get assistance regarding a troublesome client who is refusing to release funds and trying to squeeze in as much free work as possible, without adding additional payment/milestones. On top of that, they are threatening to give me a poor review (even when they are at fault) in an attempt to extort more work out of me for free.

Obtaining a poor review when I am not at fault hurts my profile, and hurts my ability to use this platform to it's fullest, and to generate revenue for myself and Upwork

I've tried going to the "submit a request" link, but it doesn't show any option to post my query. I've attached a screenshot of the blank "submit a request" page

If anyone can help, I will greatly appreciate it

5 REPLIES 5
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "a troublesome client who is refusing to release funds and trying to squeeze in as much free work as possible, without adding additional payment/milestones."

It is a violation of Upwork ToS for a client to ask for free work.

Any request for free work is unacceptable.

It is unacceptable from Upwork's point of view. More importantly, it is unacceptable from YOUR perspectives. YOUR OWN policies as a professional freelancer and small business owner mean that you do not work for free. YOUR OWN policy is that you never allow a client to ask for something that goes beyond the original contract.

For example:
A client hired an artist to draw a cute kitten.

The freelancer drew a cute kitten.

It is now the client's obligation to release payment for that work.

The drawing has a kitten with six whiskers.

The client asked the freelancer to add one whisker.

THAT IS UNACCEPTABLE unless the client offers to pay.

Here is what the client should have said:
"Thank you! The picture is great. I would like you to add one more whisker. Can I pay you a bonus payment to do that, or set up an additional fixed-price milestone?"

If the client did NOT explicitly offer to pay, the freelancer should be polite, and should offer to help. But not for free. The freelancer should say:

"Yes, I would be happy to draw an additional whisker on the kitten. You may use the client-side Pay Bonus tool to pay $10 for that. Or you may set up a new $10 milestone. Whichever you prefer is fine."

Thank you so much for your response and help. I definitely feel at ease now, after being guided.

I will dispute the non-release of this payment. I will report back here with the results. Hopefully all goes well.

I would like to nominate "The client asked the freelancer to add one whisker" as the official way to describe working with difficult clients. If I had a dime for every time I've been asked to add another whisker, man.

re: "On top of that, they are threatening to give me a poor review (even when they are at fault) in an attempt to extort more work out of me for free."

This is "feedback manipulation."

It is a violation of Upwork ToS.

I recommend that you click on the messages in which they said this and flag them.

Look for this icon next to a message in the Upwork Messages tool:

Screen Shot 2022-02-02 at 8.20.00 AM.png

Click on the gear icon and send a report:

Screen Shot 2022-02-02 at 8.20.07 AM.png

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members