🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client refusing to put payment in escrow
Page options
melissa1ojeda
Community Member

Client refusing to put payment in escrow

I started a project that was originally $10. After I completed some work the client told me that they would pay me $30 per work completed. I completed 2 tasks ($60) then submited a milestone for approval. However, they never manually approved it so I only receive that $10 that were in escrow. I tried speaking to the client about it but they became angry with me and said I should focus on clients satisfaction and not money. The thing is I would do that but I don't want to work on a project if there is no garantee I will be payed. All I want is for them to put the amount they promised in escrow but they are refusing and getting upset with me for asking. 

On top of that they are continuing to give me more work but I don't want to do it if they aren't going to pay me. Should I just end the contract? I imagine at this point I wont be recieving a postive review from them. 

7 REPLIES 7
melaniekhenson
Community Member

Melissa O wrote:

I started a project that was originally $10. After I completed some work the client told me that they would pay me $30 per work completed. I completed 2 tasks ($60) then submited a milestone for approval. However, they never manually approved it so I only receive that $10 that were in escrow. I tried speaking to the client about it but they became angry with me and said I should focus on clients satisfaction and not money. The thing is I would do that but I don't want to work on a project if there is no garantee I will be payed. All I want is for them to put the amount they promised in escrow but they are refusing and getting upset with me for asking. 

On top of that they are continuing to give me more work but I don't want to do it if they aren't going to pay me. Should I just end the contract? I imagine at this point I wont be recieving a postive review from them. 

^ Gosh, that's annoying (the bolded/underlined). How manipulative...and (sorry) how stupid. This is your career; of course money is part of it. You're not an eccentric millionaire. (Or I assume you're not.)

Did you submit the milestone? If you did, the money will be released in 14 days. I would wait for that and then end the contract.

For a client who believes money is not the primary consideration, it's weird how focused on not releasing milestones he/she is. It would take less time to click that button than to argue with you about payment for work. (That's a shocking concept, somehow?)

ETA: I don't want you to lose confidence, but you can't afford many more negative reviews. You don't have enough jobs to absorb them. Your JSS may tank. JMO: Choose your projects VERY, VERY carefully. Make sure you can 100% knock them out of the ballpark. Make sure the client has a great history and great reviews from freelancers. Don't take super-cheap-o jobs; those clients are notorious for being the toughest to work for. (That's not universal but it happens often enough that you'll hear it over and over again when people describe their experiences.)

kat303
Community Member

You should not do any work on a milestone unless that milestone is FULLY funded. This client is a scammer. Sure they are angry with you. You are a newbie and this is one of the tactics scammers use in order to get newbies like you to do work without funding escrow. You are correct in the assumption that you won't get paid for the work you've done. Don't be surprised if this client either asks you for a refund for that $30 or closes the contract themselves. 

If that happens. do NOT accept ANY refund request and dispute that request or action. When you do that, an Upwork mediator may tell you to refund that escrowed amount. Their statement is NOT binding. If  you have to take it all the way up to arbitration. Although arbitration costs each of you (client and you) $291 this client isn't going to pay that fee for $30 profit. If they don't pay that fee and you do, you automatically get that fee back And the funds in escrow.

Don't close the contract yet. Not until all of this is settled. You won't get any payment for the work you did beyond that first milestone, but you will get payment for the 1st milestone. Agreeing to refund anything only reinforces the notion that the client can continue to use this tactic with other new freelancers. $30 may not seem like a lot, but in fact it rewards the client for this unprofessional, scamming behavior. 

Once you submit your work by clicking on the Submit Word/Request payment button, just wait. If the client doesn't release the funds they will automatically be released to you in 14 days. So, as I said before, don't close the contract yet, dispute any refund request. and take it to arbitration.

Another thing you  might do, is to message this client and let them know that you haven't been paid for the work you've done beyond that 1st milestone, and because of that, you still own the copyrights to that work. If you don't receive payment you will contact the site's host provider (where this work is published) and have the work taken down/off with a DMCA notice. . 

By the way, you might try for a little damage control in the meantime by being very polite and telling the client something like, "I'd love to do more work for you. I do want to adhere to Upwork's recommendations. This way there are never any questions and there's nothing to hold up your project. When my clients release milestones, I have a clear picture of what to do, and I proceed. Thanks again for this opportunity." Or, you know, something along those lines.

The client may still be nasty about it. If so, either you weren't polite previously 😉 or the client really is looking to skin you for free work. In which case the outcome was never going to be good, frankly.

I'd do the above and if the client still puts up a fuss - which takes a whole lot more energy than simply funding a milestone - I'd wait for the submitted work to clear (14-day period) and then close out the contract. I definitely would not do more un-funded work for the client.

lysis10
Community Member

lol look at that client feedback history

Guaranteed not in the US either. haha Someone mentions a dude using the account. Freelancers beware for sure.

Yep if you look at the client's feedback you will see someone has had this exact same experience with them.  Always check ALL the client feedback before writing a proposal so you know what you are getting yourself into.

colettelewis
Community Member

Melissa O wrote:

Melissa,

You do not want this client. But you need to discover the art of firmness. If you have a rate you stick to it even if you starve for a couple of weeks. 

So the client yelled at you - wear your thickest skin and write to him that you will not do any more work unless escrow is funded on your terms. Do not do any more work for him, and do not  close the contract. Since you have been paid something for your work, provided the client does not close it himself, an open contract won't impact your JSS. If he does close it you can leave an appropriate comment (don't rant) and yes, you might get a serious knock. 

For damage limitation, as Kathy said, you can also inform the client that any work that has not been paid for still belongs to you and that you will ask for a takedown if you see it published anywhere on the Internet. 

The important thing in freelancing is to hold your ground as far as payment is concerned. I know this is easier said than done (I still slip on this), but if you do, you will find that you will not need to accept gigs from farmers and bottom feeders. 

tlbp
Community Member

IMO, the only way for OP to survive given her most recent reviews is to be extremely cautious when choosing  her next few clients and to perform above and beyond for those clients.  Only take on projects if you are certain you understand the best practices for the type of work required. Writing well and writing specific types of content well are two completely different things. 

And, never let the client have access to the work if they haven't funded the milestone. (I used to let clients see a draft before submitting for payment and sometimes still do so. But, when you are just getting started and don't know your clients well, this is a recipe for disaster.)

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members