🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client reimbursement for equipment - service ...
Page options
gilliansanger
Community Member

Client reimbursement for equipment - service fees if done through Upwork

Hi there,

I have a client who wants to provide me with equipment. She said I could order it and she will reimburse me. Can I recieve payment for this outside of Upwork? Otherwise I will be charged a 20% service fee, which isn't acceptable.

10 REPLIES 10
prestonhunter
Community Member

For you to receive payment outside of Upwork would be a serious violation of Upwork TOS. Your account could be suspended or terminated. Your funds could be blocked or permanently taken from you.

Why would not this client simply send you the equipment? Then nobody needs to pay any 20% fees?

You are probably dealing with a scammer, not a real client. Tell us more.

Preston, this person is not a scammer. They suggested paying through Upwork but I am the one who thinks it is absurd taht Upwork would receive a commission on this.

I live in Sweden and ordering things to be sent here is not so straightfoward. It's an option, yes, but it is easier if I order as I can manage the language on Amazon.se better than my client can.

petra_r
Community Member

Gillian S wrote:

I have a client who wants to provide me with equipment. She said I could order it and she will reimburse me. 

Get the client to order and pay the "equipment" and have it shipped to you.

Alternatively, get the client to pay you in Upwork, including the fee, and THEN (!) you buy the  "equipment". But don't buy anything until you've been paid.

Thanks Petra. I will definitely consider this if I can find what I need on a non-Swedish website that will arrive in time and with the appropriate European connection cables. Thank you 🙂

Gillian S wrote:

Thanks Petra. I will definitely consider this if I can find what I need on a non-Swedish website that will arrive in time and with the appropriate European connection cables. Thank you 🙂

If it's available on Amazon.se your client can use their Amazon account to buy it. Send them the link to the equipment, all they have to navigate is the signing in and payment process which is the same as on their own amazon. Signing in will likely trigger a security confirmation which just requires approving.

It'll make it easier if they add your delivery address to their addresses in their local Amazon and set it (temporarily) as the primary one so they don't have to faff about with that when on the Swedish site. I buy regularly on Amazon in 3 countries, it's very simple.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Gillian S wrote:

Hi there,

I have a client who wants to provide me with equipment. She said I could order it and she will reimburse me. Can I recieve payment for this outside of Upwork? Otherwise I will be charged a 20% service fee, which isn't acceptable.

Ask yourself why this client does not work with freelancers who already have the equipment they need to perform the task, there are literally millions of them here. 

If it sounds to good to be true, it is. 

(It's a scam. They will send a fake check.)

I have actually asked them this Martina. I have spoken with them and I can assure you they are not scammers but people who value the quality of my work. We both agree I need better equipment however. They in fact suggested paying through Upwork, but I think it is ridiculous that Upwork should receive a portion of this payment. 

Gillian S wrote:

I have actually asked them this Martina. I have spoken with them and I can assure you they are not scammers but people who value the quality of my work. We both agree I need better equipment however. They in fact suggested paying through Upwork, but I think it is ridiculous that Upwork should receive a portion of this payment. 

That is good to hear. Usually stories that begin like this end very differently. 

Upwork has no system for processing expenses (without fee), because it would be abused endlessly and be very costly to maintain (checking invoices). The best would be to follow Petra's recommendations, or if they have enough trust in you, let you use their credit card for the purchase. 

Martina P wrote:

The fake check scam only targets US based victims. It doesn't work in most other countries because in most countries funds from a check don't become available until it actually clears, unlike in the USA.

Petra R wrote:

Martina P wrote:

The fake check scam only targets US based victims. It doesn't work in most other countries because in most countries funds from a check don't become available until it actually clears, unlike in the USA.

I missed that. My brain is scrambled from watching too many cat videos. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members