🐈 Community
» Forums » Freelancers » Client released payment on 07/15. Payment app...
Page options

Client released payment on 07/15. Payment approved after "security hold" on 07/21.

My Client released payment on 07/15. Payment approved after "security hold" on 07/21. I withdrew on that date, but here I sit on 07/24 and the payment still has not been recieved into my account. What gives?

Ten days is far too long to hold the moey hostage to your feigned "security" concerns. You had the money in escrow, using it to earn more money. You had it for another six days - - for what reason? To earn more money on the short-term lending game. And now you're still holding my money.

Please understand that this is not acceptable. This is not an appropriate way of doing business. You already take almost 1/4 of our earnings right up front. Do you also have to hold our earnings hostage like Plantation Managers?

23 REPLIES 23
lysis10

lol you realize that upwork isn't holding your money, right? You realize transfers take time, right? Why would you think they are holding your money after you request payment?

Maybe because he hadn't received it yet

petra_r

Once withdrawn, Upwork does not have any influence over your money, and international bank transactions take time. Your wild accusations of Upwork making money from Escrow funds or during the 5 (not 6) day security period is also nonsense.

You may want to ask your bank how long international bank transfers take. A few days is completely normal.

To equate any of this with slave labour is not just plain insane, but deeply distasteful.

Distatseful it may be, but really, my bank honors all transfers within 24 hours. This is the *only* time that one has taken so long. My first transaction (for just $24) through Upwork went through overnight.

This one is taking longer becuase it is larger? Why?

I understand the business model. Holding money equate earning money. I used to work in financial services. Overnight lending was where the profit was. But that is not what UpWork is supposed to be about. 

I contacted my bank. They have no clue about a pending deposit. Tell me again why?

Thank you.

@Constance J wrote:

I understand the business model. 

Clearly you do not.

It's worth noting that the 21st was Friday and this is Sunday. There have been no bank business days since you initiated the transfer.

Oh. I. Really. Do.

What are you? Like twenty-three years old? Never heard of overnight lending? Smhh. PayPal made a few multi-billion of the model.

Step off.

@Constance J wrote:

Oh. I. Really. Do.

What are you? Like twenty-three years old? Never heard of overnight lending? Smhh. PayPal made a few multi-billion of the model.

Step off.

Thanks for the compliment. I'm 51, a former attorney, and have worked extensively in consumer financial protection.

Of course, none of that is relevant to Upwork's business model, since Upwork does not lend money and is not a financial institution. The hold period is five days. The transfer is initiated when you transfer available funds, or your automatic withdrawal date rolls around. 

Discussing how Paypal made its money is about as relevant here as discussing the best methods for making corn pest resistant.

Corn Pest Resistance. Nice. Thank you. You made me smile. Carry on. 🙂

Friday was a bank business day. And my bank -- a Credit union -- works weekends. 🙂

On a side note, animals in your profile photo are not allowed. Now that yo've drawn attention to yourself with this forum thread, your profile will probably be suspended until you replace it, so you may want to do that pre-emptively.

Oh Good Lord. Have you nothing better to do than nit-pik non-relevant issues? That's my cat, Duo. She's dead. She was awesome.

Here I am **Edited for Community Guidelines** about very relevant issues, and you chose to pick on my dead cat. Well-played.

@Constance J wrote:

Oh Good Lord. Have you nothing better to do than nit-pik non-relevant issues? That's my cat, Duo. She's dead. She was awesome.

Here I am **Edited for Community Guidelines** about very relevant issues, and you chose to pick on my dead cat. Well-played.

Actually, I chose to warn you about something that you may not have been aware of that could cause you trouble. I'm sorry I did, and not just because you twisted it into something weird (like you did the Upwork payment process) and found one more thing in it to rant about.

Hi Constance,

If you have not received the funds in question in your bank account yet, please do not conclude that they are lost. The amount of time it takes to receive a payment can vary depending on banking regulations in your country.

That said, if more than four business days pass and your funds have not been deposited into your bank account, please let us know. At that time, we will be happy to initiate a trace to try to locate the funds.

Thank you. Payment was approved from the "Security hold" on 07/21. It's early on 07/24 now. Doubt it will come in today, as it should have posted at midnight if it was going to.

We're going on four days since payment was supposed to have been withdrawn. We're going on ten days since the client released funds.

Really? Seriously?

Again. THANK YOU.

@Lanie M wrote:

That said, if more than four business days pass

When did it change from 8 to 4?

Another member's post, and Upwork reply, said that it might take up to eight days from security release to post to account. Just referencing that. I have not been eight days from security release -- only four -- which, IMHO, is till too much. Once the client releases funds from escrow and a withdrawl is initiated, it seems only right and proper that the person should be paid for their work.

@Constance J wrote:

1) Another member's post, and Upwork reply, said that it might take up to eight days from security release to post to account.

2) Once the client releases funds from escrow and a withdrawl is initiated, it seems only right and proper that the person should be paid for their work.

1) No, the general rule is that it takes 2 to 4 business days (without weekends / public holidays) for the bank transfer (once you have manually initiated a withdrawal to your bank account, which presumably you have done on the 21st?) After 8 days Upwork can initiate a trace via the bank. This usually takes ages and the money almost invariably turns up long before the trace results come back, but in most cases the funds arrive long before the 8 days are up.

2) OF COURSE, but don't you understand that international bank transfers are not instant, and that once funds are in the banking system they are out of reach and processed by banks? Once Upwork sends the money to the bank, which is what happens when you initiate a withdrawal, it's in the banking system. Upwork can't control it or see it.

It takes a few days for the BANKS (!!!) to send money around the globe.

I have done loans, mortgages, transfers, -- it is all done electronically and instantly. Literally, the money appears spontaniously in the account a nano second after the deposit is initiated. Your protestations are falling on deaf ears becuase I have done this before, and never seen such eggregious delays. You guys are sitting on funds. Period.

Stop defending it. This isn't the world of fax machines and telegraph. Any delays in the system are programmed into it so UpWork can benefit from it. Which is FINE, as long as they disclose it. Which they have not adequately done, to my mind.

@Constance J wrote:

I have done loans, mortgages, transfers, -- it is all done electronically and instantly. Literally, the money appears spontaniously in the account a nano second after the deposit is initiated.

Constance, where are you based? In the US or abroad?

I am in the US.

@Constance J wrote:

I have done loans, mortgages, transfers, -- it is all done electronically and instantly. Literally, the money appears spontaniously in the account a nano second after the deposit is initiated. Your protestations are falling on deaf ears becuase I have done this before, and never seen such eggregious delays. You guys are sitting on funds. Period.

Stop defending it. This isn't the world of fax machines and telegraph. Any delays in the system are programmed into it so UpWork can benefit from it. Which is FINE, as long as they disclose it. Which they have not adequately done, to my mind.

Since I've been freelancing for nearly thirty years and also had a number of remote employees and contractors, I have both received and initiated thousands of electronic transfers, using a wide variety of platforms and banking systems. NEVER has one appeared on the same day it was initiated. Within the U.S., the timeline varies between one and three days. 

The fact that your experience is so limited and that you choose not to listen is meaningless to everyone but you. You can rant, make weird accusations, have your head spin around 360 degrees and spit green juice or whatever you like, but the process will still be what it is and you won't get your money any faster.

Hi Constance,

I understand the confusion but can assure you that your withdrawal was processed on our end once you received a confirmation email, and the type of transaction you chose does require up to four working days to be processed.

I'd like to clarify while Lanie and I are Community moderators, Tiffany and Petra are experienced freelancers and respected Community members, with a in-depth knowledge about the inner workings of our platform and are selflessly sharing valuable advice with users such as yourself on a daily basis. This is why I believe it would be more beneficial to use the information they are sharing as a resource. Please feel free to follow up if you have any questions and we'll be happy to advise on them.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Constance, I have no relationship with Upwork except as a freelancer and a client. Please don't hold my views or statements against them. I'm sure you're not paranoid enough to believe that Upwork is paying my $85/hour rate to have me defend them in the forums. I've just had a long, positive experience with the platform and understand how it works.