🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Client removed his good public feedback a...
Page options
dawidpstrak
Community Member

Client removed his good public feedback after I left him bad review

Hello. I had hard client that forced me to do more work that was discussed. I finished this extra work, because I was scared of destroying my reputation with bad feedback. Scope of work was written and confirmed on chat by client, but this not stopped him from manipulating the facts. I am able to prove it by sharing private messages.

I finshed the work and left him bad review and after that client removed his 5 stars public feedback from my profile and started to offend me in private messages, what can be proved.

Anyone know, how this will affect my JSS? Can I do something to bring back my feedback on the profile?

37 REPLIES 37
martina_plaschka
Community Member

What you are describing is impossible. 

1. The client can't unilaterally remove his feedback.

2. The client can only change his feedback if you allow it, which requires an action from you. 

So something is missing. What is it?

You recently had a feedback removed by upwork. Did you remove it from the wrong contract? Was there a good mid-contract feedback that disappeared with it?

Martina I don't allowed client to change feedback, but this happened to feedback from this client. I am not sure what you mean by this Was there a good mid-contract feedback that disappeared with it?

dawidpstrak_0-1666784002950.png

Martina P wrote:

What you are describing is impossible. 

1. The client can't unilaterally remove his feedback.

This is not true. This has been addressed here before and mods have said that while a client can't unilaterally CHANGE feedback, they can always remove it upon request.

I never knew that - thanks! 

deardipu
Community Member

Dawid, 

The client should not have been able to removed his given 5 stars review until you allowed him. 

Moreover, Upwork review system is double blind. So nobody can give feedback in light of other's feedback. 

Yes he shouldn't, but this somehow happened. I think this happened because client responded to my bad feedback. It is not fair

dawidpstrak_0-1666784499092.png

Dawid, 

Did you request Upwork team to remove the feedback? 

It is supposed to be happened, only if the feedback removal request has been placed via top rated perk.

You need to communicate Upwork team to get explanation how it has been happened. It is impossible to be ocurred according to Upwork system what you are saying. So ask Upwork team to get a clear explanation.

I didn't sent feedback removal request. I don't even have this power, because I haven't top rated status. I sent ticket to support and waiting for clarification.

Keep us posted on this mystery!

Will update you

sofia2008
Community Member

You cannot remove client's answer to your feedback.

I don't want to remove client's answer to my feedback, just want to bring back my 5 star feedback from him which dissapeared 😕

If this is some kind of bug, and the client's feedback can be reinstated, his answer to your feedback will be reinstated too. You really don't want that on your profile, because it's bad. I would leave this matter as is, if I were you. 

His feedback is false

It's not a matter of true or false. It's a matter of having a profile that attracts more clients. 

Client's response to a freelancer's feedback is never removed, even if the public feedback is removed.

I just want my public feedback back because i don't allowed client to change it.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

No, it can't. 

You did not request upwork to remove feedback?

Contact support and ask them if this is a bug. 

Ok, thank you for your help Martina. I will contact support to clarify it. 

colettelewis
Community Member

Dawid,

Feedback is a double blind when a contract is ended, so neither client nor freelancer can see the other's feedback until they have both left their initial feedback.  However, both client and freelancer can respond to feedback once it has been published. And Sophie is right, responses to feedback by either party, cannot be removed. 

On the other hand, the client's first, five-star feedback should not have been removed unless you were top rated and you used your perk to request it. If this was the case, you may have misjudged the way the perk system works.  

Let us know if  CS sorts this for you, but in the meantime, it may be best to move on as Martina suggests. The understanding I get from that client's comments, is that expectations were not clarified from the beginning of the job, and that he  too was perhaps a little disappointed and surprised by your feedback to him.  (Also if you ask for feedback when a job ends, never ask a client to give you five stars, it is unprofessional and could even lead the client to giving you a really poor private rating). 

I have flagged your post in the hope that a moderator will intervene and confirm whether or not this is a bug. 

Hey, client first agreed to work scope and when i provided it, he started to deny his previous words. Let me prove my right with these screenshots.

k_m1.jpg

k_m2.jpg

So as you can see requirement is clear. I proposed to program bot to post tweets from 1 cryptocurrency news website and client agreed(screen1), but then required more work (screen2)

He mentioned multiple news source in the contract? I'd examine every writings carefully, especially on new clients.

The misunderstanding might be on him, or he simply forgot about the previous discussion, or he simply don't know about adding sources is not only about writing new URL, but when you see  something's not written correctly, you should clarify.

Multiple news sources was on the contract but in further discussion we both agreed for 1 news source. I don't told client to change text in contract. Just accepted it... 

virtualbrix
Community Member

I was under the notion that it can only be changed if the freelancer clicks to allow the client to leave feedback.

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

It doesn't affect your JSS if the stars are removed.

So, my question is, it affect just in public review? With this messages "This feedback has been removed"  and not affect in my JSS?

The JSS can still be affected. It depends on the Private feedback BUT in most cases (99%), the freelancer would ask, using the perk, to remove both the public and private feedback!

Thank You. In my case, the client deleted the response. I don't use my advantage to remove public and private input. So it still has an effect on my JSS?

I'm afraid the client will give me bad feedback if I give him permission to edit the feedback (Client agrees to give me new feedback)

dawidpstrak
Community Member

I chatted with support and i got this information.

Please know that it was your client who requested this change. Please know that if a client reaches out to us and requests to remove the feedback they gave because it no longer represents their views or opinion anymore, then we can process them. 

Contracts are managed by the Client, and the scope of the contract will be depending on the agreement of the Client and the Freelancer. This can only be resolved by a mutual agreement or understanding between two parties.

If the person who left feedback requests that their comments/rating be removed since feedback is an opinion based on their experience, if they feel the feedback is no longer accurateit can be removed -but not changed.This would mean that the feedback will just be removed yet nothing will change with regard to your JSS.  Your current JSS will stay as is and will be the same before the feedback has been removed.

virtualbrix
Community Member

This is super interesting. Good to know. So they can remove the comment / rating. Makes sense.

I guess he was not happy after the fact and he reached out to Upwork?

Yes, it would be better for me if I left him good review, because his feedback was really good 🙂 

dawidpstrak_1-1666837795853.png

1. You never ask the client for good feedback as has been mentioned before.

2. The client felt tricked because he gave you good feedback and you didn't.

3. I didn't know clients can remove feedback too, so that's good to know. 

4. Time to move on. 

At the same time, agreeing to trade good feedback is clearly feedback manipulation, and the client is as guilty as the freelancer.

virtualbrix
Community Member

It happens. Learn from it moving forward. I think he seen that you left him a bad review and you did the opposite and he got upset. contacted upwork and asked from them to change it : )

That's exactly what happened, but I'm giving clients honest feedbacks.

Yeah but you pressured the client in giving you not honest feedback, so he had it removed. 

Nobody here cares who is right or wrong, because there are always two sides. 

virtualbrix
Community Member

I understand, you did nothing wrong. His action was simply a reaction. That is all. No hard here. Just keep working hard, get good clients, do a great job and it will all work out : )

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths