🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client removed his payment method after fundi...
Page options
youssefbahaa
Community Member

Client removed his payment method after funding the milestone inquiry

Hi there, I have a client who sent me an offer and funded the 1st milestone. When I checked his history, I found that he has no previous work and his payment method is no longer verified.

I have checked a couple of threads about this, and I knew that the funds will never be released unless he verifies his payment method.

My question is, what if I asked him to verify his payment first, then he did... and after I submit the work, he decides to remove his payment method again? Is there anything to prevent him from doing that (if he is a scammer)?

Thanks in advance.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Youssef B wrote:

Thanks, Bojan for answering. But I am still concerned to know the answer to this question: what if I asked him to verify his payment first, then he did... and after I submit the work, he decides to remove his payment method again? Is there anything that prevents him from doing that (if he is a scammer)? And what could I do about it?

There is nothing you can do if this happens. It is the only really big flaw in the system. The only way to make sure is to work hourly and make sure you meet all the requirements.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Youssef,

Please know, you don’t need to avoid clients with an unverified payment method, only keep in mind that you cannot get paid until the client successfully completes billing method verification. You can learn more about this here

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Thanks, Bojan for answering. But I am still concerned to know the answer to this question: what if I asked him to verify his payment first, then he did... and after I submit the work, he decides to remove his payment method again? Is there anything that prevents him from doing that (if he is a scammer)? And what could I do about it?

Hi Youssef,

For more information about the specific cases and how those are covered by the Fixed-Price Protection please check this help article.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Youssef B wrote:

There is nothing you can do if this happens. It is the only really big flaw in the system. The only way to make sure is to work hourly and make sure you meet all the requirements.

Thanks, Jennifer for confirming what was going through my mind. I was doing my best to avoid believing that there is no real fixed-price protection. To be honest, I am disappointed!
Wish you the best of luck!

There are many ways that a freelancer can end up not getting paid if hired through a fixed-price contract.

Fixed-price contracts are completely safe if a client understands the fixed-price contract model and if the client is 100% honest and honorable.

But what if a client is not all of these things?

There are legitimate reasons why some safety-minded freelancers only work using hourly contracts.

100% agreed with you. 

The only thing that grants getting paid is the clients' honesty.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths