🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client request escrow refund
Page options
dougherty-jonath
Community Member

Client request escrow refund

Accepted Client Contract for two milestones (2 documents)

I sent in first milestone document on time, and second one early.

Client said first document was too long (she said it was 2,400 words ... Her quote called for 1,000 word, but the sample she sent was 1,900 word - the document I sent  was 1,400). She then said that some of the topics she wanted were not covered. -  so too long and yet, not long enough. (Also, the job was hours of research, which she  now has)

She canceled contract and wants her refund release.

I am in total disagreement with her assessment  -  but have all 5 Star ratings.

When I went to release the escrow-  Upwork wanted me to give her a rating first.

Questions

-Is it possible to release the escrow with giving her a rating. I do not want to go negative and give a low rating. But, since she is  basically getting hours of research for free, I do not want to give her a  high rating which would lead other freelancers to do the same thing.

-If I do give her a  rating - just  to be done with the  process -  will  she able to leave a rating on my  profile.

My rating is more important to me than  her fee.... So what are my  best options? 

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
lizablau
Community Member

You seem overly concerned about appearing "negative" so don't wish to leave a review.  But leaving an honest rating about your experience with this client would be helpful for other freelancers.  That's the point. 

That does not apply in this case. This is about being money is escrow, not about ending a contract. 

Thank you

You are correct - it is about releasing escrow money - 

but on when I open her page in my Upwork account the words are

Canceled by client
Escrow return requested - RESPOND TO REQUEST

I am just trying to figure out the best solution 

Thanks

Oh right. If you reject it, that will lead to a dispute. My knowledge ends here.

You can't "release" the escrow payment by ending the contract; if you do this, you won't get paid. If you're being told to respond to the refund request, then that's what you need to do, and go through the dispute process.

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "If I do give her a rating - just to be done with the process - will she able to leave a rating on my profile."

Any time that a contract is closed, by either the freelancer or the client, then the other person has the opportunity to leave feedback.

If a client closes a contract, it is possible for a freelancer to NOT leave feedback. But the freelancer MIGHT leave feedback.

If a freelancer closes a contract, it is possible for a client to NOT leave feedback. But the client MIGHT leave feedback.

If there is zero pay for the contract, then the contract will NOT show up on the freelancer's public job history/profile page. But the feedback, particularly private feedback, can STILL have an impact on the freelancer's JSS.

A zero-pay contract does NOT have any impact on JSS. Unless the feedback is negative.

Keep in mind that the impact on JSS is weighted based on the dollar amount. A zero-pay contract theoretically has little impact on JSS compared to a large dollar amount contract.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Jonathan D wrote:

Questions

-Is it possible to release the escrow with giving her a rating. I do not want to go negative and give a low rating. But, since she is  basically getting hours of research for free, I do not want to give her a  high rating which would lead other freelancers to do the same thing. Your rating should be based on your experience, meaning it should be honest. You do a disservice to other freelancers if you don't do that. 

-If I do give her a  rating - just  to be done with the  process -  will  she able to leave a rating on my  profile. Yes, once you have a contract, there will be a rating. 

My rating is more important to me than  her fee.... So what are my  best options? 

I would rethink your approach. You performed a service, you should be paid. Don't teach clients that they can get free work. Again, a disservice to other freelancers, and the platform as a whole. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members