cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client request for a refund

Highlighted
Romeo T Member Since: Nov 28, 2014
1 of 4

I have this very difficult former client two months ago that want a full refund of the work that he already paid me. 

First he filed a dispute and ask for a refund of those disputed hours (which I actually worked).  I've accepted the dispute and refunded him not because due the truth of his allegations but simply due to my own oversight of not putting something on the memo of my work diary which translate to be not covered by Upwork Payment Protection. He filed this dispute after he prematurely terminated our hourly contract so the dispute he claim was for the last week's work of our contract.  

After two months, this client reached me out again and this time he dishonestly coercing me to change my feedback on his profile which I heed by removing my comment on my feedback on his profile.  And it does not end at that, minutes passed and he filed a full refund claim of the consumated contract!  Since he is claiming for a full refund, I also requested to return all the works I have submitted to him and also requested him to sanitize his PC of all traces of files that I have submitted to him.   But since I have used some paid commercial copyrighted third party codes on my works, I also requested for a copy of all the source codes that the new contractor is working on the same project to make sure there are no copyright infringements. 

My question is am I obligated to refund this client for unfounded reasons at all?  Should I refund this client, will it affect my top rated JSS?

After two months

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 4

@Romeo T wrote:

I have this very difficult former client two months ago that want a full refund of the work that he already paid me.

After two months, this client reached me out again and this time he dishonestly coercing me to change my feedback on his profile which I heed by removing my comment on my feedback on his profile.  And it does not end at that, minutes passed and he filed a full refund claim of the consumated contract!  Since he is claiming for a full refund, I also requested to return all the works I have submitted to him and also requested him to sanitize his PC of all traces of files that I have submitted to him.   But since I have used some paid commercial copyrighted third party codes on my works, I also requested for a copy of all the source codes that the new contractor is working on the same project to make sure there are no copyright infringements. 

My question is am I obligated to refund this client for unfounded reasons at all?  Should I refund this client, will it affect my top rated JSS?

You should not have changed your feedback and 2 months after the contract the client can no longer dispute anything either.

Unless you have already agreed to refund, tell the client in a calm professional manner that you are not refunding and are not prepared to discuss it further.

Then stop communicating with the client.

Highlighted
Romeo T Member Since: Nov 28, 2014
3 of 4

I did already talk to him with utmost professionalism, but he emailed to my personal email outside of Upwork platform still coercing me.  That is why I tagged him as "very difficult client".  

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 4

Romeo:

Block him from contacting your personal email account.

It was highly unprofessional and inappropriate for that client to ask you for a refund. It was unprofessional and inappropriate for him to have sent a message to your personal email address.

As annoying as this former client is being to you, he is actually doing far more damage to himself.

The psychological toll that this client's type of thinking and behavior takes on a person is immense.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS