🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client requested a refund which I don't was t...
Page options
pintado2001
Community Member

Client requested a refund which I don't was to give

Hi All,

A client suddenly requested a refund. Facts are:

He paused the contract for about a week. During this time he asked for an opinion regarding an order of the court which I gave without billing him because he already paused the contract then.

He disputes the hours because he believes that researching the cases only takes minutes. The cases I give him is already summarized and issues that may relate to his cases are already filtered.

Example of the results I give him is as attached.

Now, when I check my contracts there is not disputes filed but I have pending is a refund request which I already turned down by answering the request for refund through Upwork messaging.

My questions:

1. Because I cannot turn down the request for refund 

2. When can we go into dispute to formally answer his complaints?

I don't want any actions lapsed just because the client went thru a different channel.

Chari

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

If the client has filed a dispute (rather than just a refund request) all that matters is whether you have tracked your hours correctly.

If the refund request is for hours from further back than last week, the dispute period is over anyway.

When were the hours logged and did you use the tracker with meaningful work memos and fair activity levels?

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
prestonhunter
Community Member

Chari:

The client behavior you described is unprofessional, unethical, and immoral. I am sorry that you must deal with this.

Thank you. I am ok. Just a little rattled because this is the first time that I am dealing with this.

petra_r
Community Member

If the client has filed a dispute (rather than just a refund request) all that matters is whether you have tracked your hours correctly.

If the refund request is for hours from further back than last week, the dispute period is over anyway.

When were the hours logged and did you use the tracker with meaningful work memos and fair activity levels?

Thank you. Yes, the last I worked with him was over a week ago. It's a relief that the dispute period already lapsed.

Charilyn D wrote:

Thank you. Yes, the last I worked with him was over a week ago. It's a relief that the dispute period already lapsed.

Did you trck your hours correctly with the Upwork tracker and meaningful work memos and fair ctivity levels?

If not, this may not be quite over yet.

Yes, I did track. Although there were no memos. But his requests are recorded in the chat.

Also, I worked at an hour over the limit and did not ask to be paid for it. Another is that he requested the summary of order without charge because at the time we were communicating, he already paused the contract.

So, if he disputes I would like to ask to be paid for the time worked past the time limit. It's something that I don't mind usually but since he is picking apart the time he paid me, I would also like to charge him for the unpaid time.

I hope this will taken into consideration should he want to dispute. 

re: "Although there were no memos"

Time segments without memos do not qualify got Upwork Payment Protection.

And you can not dispute time that was logged past the weekly allowable hours.

You are trying to look at this terms of what is "just" or "fair."

I can assure you, these are not part of the equation. Upwork's protocols are clear and not negotiable.

tlbp
Community Member

Upwork payment protection will only pay you for hours tracked, with a memo, and with a certain percentage of activity (represented by the green bars). If the client formally disputes the hours, he may get a refund. If he is just asking you for money back in chat, refuse. 

tlbp
Community Member

Charilyn D wrote:

Yes, I did track. Although there were no memos. But his requests are recorded in the chat.

Also, I worked at an hour over the limit and did not ask to be paid for it. Another is that he requested the summary of order without charge because at the time we were communicating, he already paused the contract.

So, if he disputes I would like to ask to be paid for the time worked past the time limit. It's something that I don't mind usually but since he is picking apart the time he paid me, I would also like to charge him for the unpaid time.

I hope this will taken into consideration should he want to dispute. 

You will never get paid for unrecorded work in Upwork. There is no equitable relief here (and limited contractual protection). Don't ever do anything for a client that you would regret if they turn out to be a jerk. 

pintado2001
Community Member

Well, I think we are going into dispute. He is now trying to argue on a different ground.

Point well taken. This is my first time and, it might be hard to swallow, but I think I am going to lose this one but I am charging it to experience.

There are great clients on Upwork and I'll try not to let one client ruin it for me.

On principle,  I don't want to give it but it is causing me considerable stress for such a small amount.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members