🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Client requested for a refund.
Page options
roselle_dago-oc
Community Member

Client requested for a refund.

Hello, I have an issue regarding my client's weekly retainer.

I have seen a weekly retainer from our contract before and I already informed him about what was there in our contract before and clarified him about what he added on the contract (weekly retainer) and he agreed on that, he said that it is to pay me automatically. Then after my job successfully completed, he ended the contract well with five stars feedback for me.

Few days after, I don't understand why he requested for a refund now. The problem now is, he requested a refund and he said that it was just a mistake. I don't understand why this client did this to me as we already talked about everything about our contract before and I have a proof that everything was clear and agreed on both sides before the contract ended. What should I do best to make this things clear? 

Thank you. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
joywriter
Community Member

Hi Roselle,

If the client paid you for the job you completed and left you 5 stars, then there is nothing to worry about. 

Now, I don't understand what you meant by "weekly retainer" but if he is requesting a refund because he paid you for work you didn't do, then that would be again up to you to refund it, especially since the contract is ended and feedback left.

No harm can be done to you by that client anymore, even if they try contacting Upwork.

Let us know if you still have any questions.

Best,

Hugo

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
joywriter
Community Member

Hi Roselle,

If the client paid you for the job you completed and left you 5 stars, then there is nothing to worry about. 

Now, I don't understand what you meant by "weekly retainer" but if he is requesting a refund because he paid you for work you didn't do, then that would be again up to you to refund it, especially since the contract is ended and feedback left.

No harm can be done to you by that client anymore, even if they try contacting Upwork.

Let us know if you still have any questions.

Best,

Hugo

L. S wrote:

Now, I don't understand what you meant by "weekly retainer"

Weekly salary.

L. S wrote:

That is simply not true. Whether a contract has been closed and what feedback has been left has no bearing on a client's ability or inability to raise a dispute or request dispute mediation.

Roselle, at this point the client isn't raising a dispute so you can't be made to give any refund, and if you have already clarified things with the client, just refer them to that previous conversation.

It sounds like the client did not understand that the weekly salary is paid in addition to the hours logged, as evidenced by the client saying "so you get paid automatically" and only know understood what it really means. The client has 30 days from payment to dispute.

Like I said, it would be up to her to issue the refund or not even if the client raises a dispute. I never said it was impossible for a dispute to be raised. She could reject his refund request or even a dispute for a refund on the grounds that the work was done and 5 stars were left. If no agreement is reached, then the mediation process will take it from there. But if they come to an agreement that any extras were paid and no work was done, she can refund it after discussing it with the client.

L. S wrote:

She could reject his refund request or even a dispute for a refund on the grounds that the work was done and 5 stars were left. I

Aaaaaand wrong again.

There is no protection for weekly retainers in any way, shape, or form. It's treated like manual time.

In hourly contracts, the only thing that's protected is time properly tracked with the tracker with meaningful memos and decent activity levels. Everything else goes "Poof" if there is an issue.

The client has set up the retainer by accident. You claimed that nothing can happen because the contract is closed. That was wrong. All the client has to do is say they accidentally set up the retainer. She will be made to refund if it comes to that. She did the work, and was paid for it at her hourly rate, PLUS the retainer.

lysis10
Community Member

Roselle Rose D wrote:

Hello, I have an issue regarding my client's weekly retainer.

I have seen a weekly retainer from our contract before and I already informed him about what was there in our contract before and clarified him about what he added on the contract (weekly retainer) and he agreed on that, he said that it is to pay me automatically. Then after my job successfully completed, he ended the contract well with five stars feedback for me.

Few days after, I don't understand why he requested for a refund now. The problem now is, he requested a refund and he said that it was just a mistake. I don't understand why this client did this to me as we already talked about everything about our contract before and I have a proof that everything was clear and agreed on both sides before the contract ended. What should I do best to make this things clear? 

Thank you. 

I think you know it was a mistake and should give him the money back. When clients hire and add the weekly amount, I would guess it's done by mistake most times.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members