🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client requesting a discount for modifying hi...
Page options
mohamed_ghonemie
Community Member

Client requesting a discount for modifying his unfair feedback about a successful project

Hello, everyone. I'm a top-rated civil engineer with 100% success score on Upwork. About a month ago, a client hired me to work on his urgent civil engineering project. I spent a night up working on his project and communicating with him in an agile way for accomplishing his continuous requests instantaneously. His requests were of the kind "What if we do this and that, etc" and I did every little detail he asked for until I finished the project exactly as he desired. After that, I waited for him to close the project or even to extend it with new requirements, but he didn't. I forgot about this project, for a month, then I messaged him asking if he wants anything else regarding this opened project, but he didn't reply to me. I followed up on my last message, and he just replied with closing the project immediately. My public and private feedback about him was very positive because the project was done very successfully. However, I was overtaken by his bad rating about me and not writing any word of review. What he had done affected me negatively, and I messaged him again for asking why he did this despite I finished his project successfully. He answered me demanding a "discount" from me for modifying his unfair rating. I flagged this inappropriate behavior to Upwork, but I haven't got any reply or follow up. I don't know what else should I do to escalate this case on Upwork. It would be very appreciated if someone could help me, and thank you in advance.

7 REPLIES 7
JoanneP

Hi Mohamed,

Could you please send me a PM with more information so I can look into this for you? You can send me a PM by clicking on my name. Thanks!

~ Joanne
Upwork

Thank you, Joanne. Your help would be good proof that the Upwork team doesn't consider the clients more important than the freelancers. It means a lot to me.

Mohamed G wrote:

Thank you, Joanne. Your help would be good proof that the Upwork team doesn't consider the clients more important than the freelancers. It means a lot to me.

Mohamed, whether Upwork slap the client's wrist or not, they won't remove the feedback.

However, as you are top-rated, you can use your top rated perk to eliminate the impact of the contract on your JSS and (optionally) have the 3 stars replaced with "This feedback has been removed". (Provided you haven't used the perk in the last 10 contracts and 3 months)

Please read my reply to Preston.

Mohamed G wrote:

Please read my reply to Preston.

I did. 

That doesn't change the facts. 

prestonhunter
Community Member

Mohamed G:
What you are referring to is known as "feedback manipulation."

It is a serious violation of Upwork ToS for the client to be doing this.

Thank you Preston for your reply. I'm shocked because this is my first time facing such a behavior. He abused the contract in order to threaten my reputation and hinder my chances of landing next similar projects. And he also wanted to get the most out of this unfair situation trying to force me to pay for him a "discount". Such dishonest behavior can affect the overall trust in the freelancing industry.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members