cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client requesting a refund 4 months after contract has ended.

dmoreno28uw
Ace Contributor

Hello upwork community!

I don't really want to get into the specifics of this contract, but I had a very small contract with a company that was closed a few months back (it was a fixed-payment contract worth only a few hundred dollars).

The contract itself ended 4 months ago and today out of the blue, I received a refund request from this client. The weird thing is, I didn't get an email notification or an upwork alert, just a message explaining that the client has requested a refund but it doesn't even give me the option to reject or dispute his request.

Can someone please explain whether this process is different from the normal refund process given that the contract ended so long ago?

Thank you.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Guru

There is no need to go to Support or do anything other than cancel the request.

The client can no longer dispute if you were paid over 30 days ago.

There is a slim chance he'll file a chargeback in which case the money will be gone, but I'd just send a brief, polite and professional message that you are neither prepared nor required to refund.

The process is different because there is a "request a refund" button on the client interface, but it does not lead to a dispute or anything if you don't refund.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
prestonhunter
Community Guru

David:

This client's behavior is unprofessional, unethical, and immoral.

The time to work with a freelancer is while a contract is open. The time to request a refund - if a freelancer did not actually do the work - is before closing a contract.

if all you received was a message that the client requested a refund, and you don't have any option to reject or dispute the request, then it sounds like there is nothing for you to do.

This may the result of the client initiating a credit card chargeback. That's a whole other topic, and not a topic specific to Upwork itself. There may be nothing you need to do. And nothing you can do. Of course you should not work for this client in the future.

crart
Ace Contributor

I would go straight to Upwork support. But one thing is clear - if you did the job, delivered it, contract was approved and closed by the client and you've been paid for the job done, then you don't have to refund anything. Taking logic into consideration but logic sometimes fails at Upwork. 

Support "should" help...

silw
Community Guru

tell him that you decided to raise your rates 4 months rectroactively and that he owes you a couple of thousand dollars.

petra_r
Community Guru

There is no need to go to Support or do anything other than cancel the request.

The client can no longer dispute if you were paid over 30 days ago.

There is a slim chance he'll file a chargeback in which case the money will be gone, but I'd just send a brief, polite and professional message that you are neither prepared nor required to refund.

The process is different because there is a "request a refund" button on the client interface, but it does not lead to a dispute or anything if you don't refund.

Thanks everyone for your replies! It sounds like the client is SOL because the contract has ended then.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS