cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client requesting discounts for submitted work

Eirini K Member Since: Feb 14, 2018
1 of 7
Hello community,

Just when everything was going so smoothly, I misjudged and took this new client and now I'm in this situation that I don't know what to do next.

The client requested a 2,000word article and I delivered just that. Then she requested edits because she didn't liked the tone of voice, although she had read plenty of my previous work and liked it. I did the edits and then she still refused to to release the milestone because she said she kept only the 1,500 words and therefore I should be payed according to that.

During all this time I received numerous messages that were quite inappropriate to the point that I started feeling harassed.

She keeps reverting the milestone back and I receive a "client requested edits", although she requests no edits - the article is already published - she just asking me to decrease my requested payment - which I find no reason to do.

For how long is she allowed to do this when there is no actual request for edits in her request? How would you advise me to handle that?
Community Guru
Jo-An B Member Since: Aug 2, 2016
2 of 7

Hi Eirini,

I checked and there's already a ticket about this concern. You may post any questions you have on the ticket thread and the team will get back to you with more information.

~ Jo-An

Untitled
Community Guru
Renata S Member Since: Jun 10, 2014
3 of 7

@Eirini K wrote:
Hello community,

She keeps reverting the milestone back and I receive a "client requested edits", although she requests no edits - the article is already published - she just asking me to decrease my requested payment - which I find no reason to do.

For how long is she allowed to do this when there is no actual request for edits in her request? How would you advise me to handle that?

Eirini,

This appears to be a sub-contracted job (if I'm reading what you're saying correctly). There is a simple concept your client is missing. She is your client.  Her client is not. She's responsible for keeping her client happy. You are only responsible for delivering what she asks of you. 
 Since this appears to be a third party contract, you're not responsible for keeping her client happy -- she is.  As far as you're concerned, that person does not exist. If she asked you for a 2000 word article and you delivered that, you've covered your end of the bargain. You're not responsible for being a mind reader. You can't contact her client directly, so you can only work with what she gives you. 

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 7

Don't waste your time. If she wants a discount, give her a discount, and then get your money and get out of there.

The longer you prolong this contract, the more it will drain the life out of you.

It is not your job to ensure that this client is a decent human being, so do not try to force her to "do the right thing." Take what you can get and don't look back.

Community Guru
Renata S Member Since: Jun 10, 2014
5 of 7

@Preston H wrote:

Don't waste your time. If she wants a discount, give her a discount, and then get your money and get out of there.

The longer you prolong this contract, the more it will drain the life out of you.

It is not your job to ensure that this client is a decent human being, so do not try to force her to "do the right thing." Take what you can get and don't look back.

I'm just going to note that Preston appears to be working in an area that isn't subject to the kinds of deep discounting that people seem to feel entitled to in the writing and editing area.

But he does present a valid point: getting out with the least amount of wear and tear possible.  There's a trade-off in terms of what you can expect to gain in this situation since your client has already suggested that she feels entitled to a discount. If you sit tight with asking for the full amount, the client might take it out on you through the feedback mechanism.  I'd see what sort of recourse the UW people suggest you have. If you had done the job as an hourly, you'd be protected. 

On the other hand, the client may give you subpar feedback regardless of the outcome of the ticket. If there's a chance you can get paid for the work you did and you need the money, then it may not be worth trying to second guess what will keep the client happy. She might just end up giving you crappy feedback even if you give her the discount. If you're entitled to the money, take it.

Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
6 of 7

Hi Eirini,

Since you did not get paid you still own the copyright. Ask her once more in a very polite way to release the full payment in the next 1-2 days and inform her that you will contact the site's host provider with a DMC notice and have your content taken down.

You could also just take your work back and sell it to somebody else, in this case you should also contact the site's host. 

Don't worry about the feedback you probably take a hit but you can always leave her a feedback as a warning for other clients.

Community Guru
Prashant P Member Since: Sep 29, 2015
7 of 7

I woild do following:

Step 1: Jennifer's sugestion. - tell her that you own the copyrights and if payment does not come through in next few days you will send DMC notice (it is very easy).

Step 2: Preston's suggestion.

No matter what you do you will have bad feedback.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS