🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client requesting for refund after 9 days of ...
Page options
a1a231f8
Community Member

Client requesting for refund after 9 days of ending a fixed contract.

.I worked on a 40$ project recently. Every milestone was completed and client was happy with the work. After ending the contract, he gave me a bonus of 32$.(  Total 72$  ) and a feedback rating of 5 stars.

When the code was handed over, everything was fine and working correctly. But after 9 days, he is requesting a full refund saying the code  does not run properly when deployed. Although deployment was not part of the requirement, I agreed to listen to the error, to which he denied and now wants full payment to be refunded.

I have received all the funds and there is nothing in the Escrow. I have transferred the funds in the bank.

So, what to do now? I am not willing to refund the amount to the client. What if I simply ignore the request and does not reply to him? 

I am new to freelancing and this was my first contract. Please help me! Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5
petra_r
Community Member

Dhairya A wrote:

So, what to do now? I am not willing to refund the amount to the client. What if I simply ignore the request and does not reply to him? 

Then the client may open a dispute, which they can do up to 30 days after the last milestone was funded.

a1a231f8
Community Member

Thanks for the response!

What should I do in this case? The client is not ready to listen. I am ready to solve the error in case if he is getting one. But he wants all the refund. Basically he wants the project for free. 

Please tell me the options I have. It would be a great help. 

a_temmy
Community Member

Hi Dhairya, 

The best option is for you to tell the client about opening a dispute, with which Upwork will decide.

petra_r
Community Member

Dhairya A wrote:

Thanks for the response!

What should I do in this case? The client is not ready to listen. I am ready to solve the error in case if he is getting one. But he wants all the refund. Basically he wants the project for free. 

Please tell me the options I have. It would be a great help. 

I would tel the client that whilt you'd be more than happy to help them fix any issue, you will not be refunding as the project was approved by the client. Do not get into any argument, just politely and firmly declare that you are not going to refund. Offer help, not excuse and not explanations.

Afolabi G wrote:

The best option is for you to tell the client about opening a dispute, with which Upwork will decide.

No, that is not "the best option" at all... 1. Disputes are best avoided and 2. Upwork do not decide disputes. Disputes can be decided by arbitration, but that is out of the question here as it costs all 3  parties $ 291

a_temmy
Community Member

Thanks for the Enlightenment, Petra. I gained a lot from this!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths