cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client requesting freelancer to do their homework.

mfseipel
Mary S Member Since: Jan 5, 2015
1 of 8

I came across a couple of job offers that appear to want a freelancer to do their homework for them, i.e. English course, etc.

I used to teach school, so those kinds of requests set off some alarms in my mind. Is that a proper request?

Mary

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 8
These are posted every day, including jobs asking to do homework in database design, my specialty. I just ignore them. The available pay is always very poor relative to the amount of work being asked for. Students are rarely good potential clients.

I am sure some people would like to see such postings banned or removed, but it is better for you as an individual to decide where you draw the line when it comes to tutoring a student or teaching a businessman how to create an Excel spreadsheet or helping a student with his homework, or actually creating a businessman's spreadsheet or actually writing that future businessman's English essay.

I for one would prefer that oDesk does not become the homework police or recycling police or fashion police.

It is wrong for a student to pay someone to do their homework. It is wrong for you as a contractor to do that student's homework. But neither of these things is as wrong as the automated computer algorithm that oDesk will create if you insist they prevent such postings. That algorithm will be intended to stop homework postings, but it will actually prevent you and I from getting work in legitimate jobs and it will prevent the job postings that lead to a cure for cancer.
stephenbrightman
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
3 of 8

I have taken delight in a few cases where the frauding clients were tso stupid as to leave a trail of info about the exact college and tutor their homework was destined for, in emailing that tutor and letting him/her know.

Sneaky maybe? Make up your own mind. But if I see someone stealing from someone and there's a way I can let the victim know about it, I will. These people are not just scamming a bit of homework - it goes right up to fukl dissertations. But then even the ones scamming their small college essay, they are fraudulently gaining qualifications, thus allowing them to qualify for careers that they're not capable of doing. How would you feel if you found out that the doctor treating you after your car crash had paid people to write his exam papers?

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 8

Hi Mary,

Jobs where the client requests to complete homework for them violate oDesk Terms of Service and our Team is working hard to identify them and take appropriate actions against such accounts. We would really appreciate if you flag such job postings when you see them.

Thank you!

~ Valeria
Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 8
I am very okay with doing what Valeria says... To flag such job postings and have them reviewed and possibly removed. I do not for one second trust in oDesk's ability to create an automated algorithm that does this, because I don't think a fully automated algorithm for this is possible.

To their credit, I think the powers that be at oDesk realize that such an algorithm is not possible, and they have not tried to make one. So I hope people who don't like seeing homework posts will be patient with oDesk if they see them and just do as Valeria says... Flag them.

But realize that just because something you don't like is posted, it doesn't mean there is a flaw with the system.
emily_reactant
Emily G Member Since: Jul 23, 2018
6 of 8
I assume this still applies?
yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
7 of 8

Emily G wrote:

If you're asking whether academic fraud, like asking freelancers to do homework, violates the site Terms, then yes, it still applies, and you should flag such jobs if you see them, but don't expect the jobs to be closed right away.

Emily G Member Since: Jul 23, 2018
8 of 8

John K wrote:

Emily G wrote:

If you're asking whether academic fraud, like asking freelancers to do homework, violates the site Terms, then yes, it still applies, and you should flag such jobs if you see them, but don't expect the jobs to be closed right away.

Cool, I'll flag them in future instead of just not applying for them. I had a client who usually asks for business-related work ask me to do his daughter's homework the other day, and I didn't report it. Instead I warned him it was against the T&Cs, and not to ask anyone else on here.

He was really apologetic, but also seemed somewhat surprised. Maybe the client onboarding processs needs to be clearer about rules surrounding homework? I have no idea what their onboarding process looks like; whether it's hidden in the small print or is already more obvious, but thought this was worth bringing up. 

Presumably stuff like editing big university assignments for non-English speakers is OK? Or does that also count as "doing homework"? Morally I don't think it's the same thing, but I'm curious what the Upwork rules are about it, not that it's something I've ever had anyone ask me to do!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS