Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client requesting information

Highlighted
Stefan A Member Since: Dec 22, 2016
1 of 8

Hi,

One of my clients has requested me some information so they fill in a W-8BEN form, including information such as my mailing address, permanent residence address, foreign tax identifying number etc.

It's the first time someone asks me this information in three years here at Upwork, though they are not the first U.S. based client I've worked with.  (I am non-U.S. and have selected W-8BEN under tax information since I started working).

Can you please provide bit more background what does this mean? I thought that all needed information the client may need from me they can already access to within our contract. I found it bit strange that they asked.

Thanks

Stefan

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
BEST ANSWER
2 of 8

You do NOT give those details to a client and they do NOT have to fill in a W-8BEN.

Tell the client that your details are on file with Upwork and it is Upwork who pay you.

3 of 8

Thank you Petra! Just as I thought. And why would the client do this? Why would they insist on the information?

Community Guru
4 of 8

@Stefan A wrote:

Thank you Petra! Just as I thought. And why would the client do this? Why would they insist on the information?

I am not sure. Ignorance maybe (best case), or he's trying to create an Upwork account using your details Smiley Wink

5 of 8

Hi Petra, 

It's me again. I have still not resolved the little issue with my client.

They insist on keeping W-8BEN form, with my personal information and signature. As they say and from what I understood, this is because this way they avoid some sort of double taxation, as they have made the payments through their company's bank account. They also say they may face a penalty if they don't have a copy of W-8BEN for any client from abroad they have made payments to. 

Community Guru
6 of 8

@Stefan A wrote:

Hi Petra, 

It's me again. I have still not resolved the little issue with my client.

They insist on keeping W-8BEN form, with my personal information and signature. As they say and from what I understood, this is because this way they avoid some sort of double taxation, as they have made the payments through their company's bank account. They also say they may face a penalty if they don't have a copy of W-8BEN for any client from abroad they have made payments to. 

Stefan, Tell the client to contact Upwork, they'll explain the error of his ways to him.

Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
7 of 8

Hi Stefan,

Could you also please send me a PM with the job posting link or the client name that is requesting this information and our team will reach out to him as well. Thank you.

Untitled
8 of 8

Hi Goran, have messaged you. Thanks

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS