🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client requesting to hold money for ending a ...
Page options
fazna09
Community Member

Client requesting to hold money for ending a contract

I accepted a contract. But on the second day I understood that I am unable to keep up with the dead lines. So I explained it to the client. But the client was not willing to end the contract so I ended the contract. Now the client says that he has filed a complain requesting Upwork to hold money from my next client. Can someone advice me on this issue

9 REPLIES 9
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Upwork doesn't link projects from different clients.

They won't withhold money from a future client because a previous client requests it.

petra_r
Community Member

Fathima Fazna M wrote:

Now the client says that he has filed a complain requesting Upwork to hold money from my next client. Can someone advice me on this issue

She is bluffing. That's nonsense. Whatever would she "request" that for.

In future, don't accept contracts unless you understand what you are accepting and that you really know you can deliver as arranged as your metrics will reflect the outcomes of all your contracts when you get a Job Success Score.

prestonhunter
Community Member

Fathima:
Your contract with that person is over now.

I don't see that you have anything to gain by continuing to communicate with that client in any way. You could simply block him.

ericaandrews
Community Member

She has no ability to do that:  Upwork has no mechanism that allows one client to 'swoop in' and interfere with a contract you have with a completely different client.   It's just not possible and just not allowed.   One client cannot contact Upwork and 'order' changes and holds to another contract they have nothing to do with.  I don't think any clients on Upwork would tolerate a situation where other clients they don't even know can arbitrarily place 'holds' on their contracts and interfere with or derail their projects.  It's not happening.

The best thing you can do is just BLOCK her and move on.

chillynguyen
Community Member

In short: you should ignore whatever the client said.

I have a question though: isn't threatening against Upwork's Terms of use? Can Fathima report the client in this case?

Theoretically, yes, she could "report" a client.

But at this stage in her Upwork journey, I believe she is so new that she should focus on herself right now. She can worry about helping other people later, after she has more experience.

You have a point. I'm just thinking that if the client is banned by Upwork, the negative private feedback could disappear with the client, and she may not be affected from low JSS once she has one.

re: "You have a point. I'm just thinking that if the client is banned by Upwork, the negative private feedback could disappear with the client, and she may not be affected from low JSS once she has one."

Okay... But that's a longshot, and it is what I would categorize as an "advanced technique."

Nhu Nhu N wrote:

I'm just thinking that if the client is banned by Upwork,

The client would not be banned for that.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members