Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client requesting work for under 3$/hr through fixed price job

ehsan-khademi
Ace Contributor
Ehsan K Member Since: May 22, 2015
1 of 12

I'm just guessing that this client knows he can't set the hourly rate to below 3$. Why not try to scam people with the help of a fixed price job. I'm really fed up with this site at the moment as this is a platform where the audacity of clients isn't met with scrutiny. You can read it all over the forums that freelancer's get suspended but clients will most likely just get a light slap on their wrist......Some of you might remember the last time I posted a job opening with let's say rather questionable client behaviour and it took literally several times till Upwork adressed the issue.

So here we go again, he's offering basically $1.25 an hour and has the audacity to ask if people understand that they have to work 160 hours a month as an interview question:

**edited for Community Guidelines**

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 12

Wow. 40 hours a week for $200. Wow. Just Wow.

But, someone bid $1 as a bid, so....  I mean, if I'm an awful person, I wouldn't be able to carry out my awfulness if no one like.. bid $1.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 12

I don't know... The client-side interface won't actually let a client create a sub-$3.00/hr job.

The client the original poster describes is trying to get around this using a fixed-price job. Nobody is forcing contractors to work for lowball clients.

I just can't get worked up about this. I know that low-quality contractors are a problem. But I prefer to focus on providing high-quality value to clients that they will want to pay top dollar for. For me that's a solution that works.

Trying to stem the tide of low-quality contractors by policing client behavior seems like a losing battle to me (or at the very least, not worthy my time).

dzadza
Community Guru
Sanja D Member Since: Dec 18, 2013
4 of 12
On one hand, you're right.
On the other - the job has 15 applicants. So, as long as there are people here willing to work for that "rate", you can expect job postings similar to that one
ehsan-khademi
Ace Contributor
5 of 12

Preston, Sanja,

I totally agree with you. But there's a reason why the "minimum wage" is three $3. And he obviously expects hourly work and circumvents that with a fixed price job being well aware of that...

a_kazleva
Community Guru
Aleksandra K Member Since: Mar 31, 2015
6 of 12

Hey you can’t blame the guy for asking! Smiley Very Happy

I guarantee half of those people who applied never read the description as some of them have pretty high rates…

ehsan-khademi
Ace Contributor
7 of 12

@Aleksandra K wrote:

I guarantee half of those people who applied never read the description as some of them have pretty high rates…

That's a fair point which I obviously missed:-)

stephenbrightman
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
8 of 12

20 applicants. But don't worry - I've flagged it as asking for freewwork, so it'll be taken down soon.

(Yeah, right    Robot Frustrated   )

webdevdesign
Community Leader
Michael John M Member Since: Jul 8, 2015
9 of 12

@Stephen

Thanks for the laugh.

johntatlock
Community Leader
John T Member Since: Mar 19, 2015
10 of 12

While I reckon it's not worth getting too wound up about, I do think, as a general point of principle, Upwork should enforce policy a bit more... forcefully on the client side. That on its own wouldn't deliver utopia or anything, but every little counts.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS