🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client requests a refund
Page options
9978acac
Community Member

Client requests a refund

Hi,

I recently submitted 5 hours of work for a client, the work I sent the client was aligned with samples of previous work I sent him but he opted for additional changes to be made. I agreed to make the changes (this conversation happened on Friday) and over the weekend I fell ill. I was still continuing to research the changes the client wanted to be made, but on the following Tuesday, he closed the contract. He is now requesting a refund for the hours I billed him but I would like to dispute it. I do not see the option to dispute the refund requests. Can anyone help me? 

2 REPLIES 2
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I recently submitted 5 hours of work for a client, the work I sent the client was aligned with samples of previous work I sent him but he opted for additional changes to be made. I agreed to make the changes (this conversation happened on Friday) and over the weekend I fell ill. I was still continuing to research the changes the client wanted to be made, but on the following Tuesday, he closed the contract. He is now requesting a refund for the hours I billed him but I would like to dispute it. I do not see the option to dispute the refund requests. Can anyone help me?"

This is an hourly contract.

It sounds like the client just clicked a button that informally sends you a message asking for a refund.

So there IS NO BUTTON that you need to click in order to decline the refund request.

You DO NOT NEED to dispute anything.

Time is on your side.

The more time that goes by, the more impossible it will be for the client to get any sort of refund from you.

The client's request for a refund is inappropriate.

But no matter what, you should be polite and communicate in a profesional manner.

I recommend that you tell the client:
"Thank you for your note. I will look over this and get back to you within three days."

Then, three days later, ask the client a short question, something open ended like: "Did you have a question for me at this time?"

If the client says nothing at all, then consider the matter closed. It means that the client was simply clicking a button to try out the button, and has no actual reason for requesting a refund. The client is too embarrassed to admit this, and won't say anything.

But if the client DOES say anything... Don't argue with the client. Come here to the Forum and let us know what he said.

m_terrazas
Community Member

Diamond S wrote:

Hi,

I recently submitted 5 hours of work for a client, the work I sent the client was aligned with samples of previous work I sent him but he opted for additional changes to be made. I agreed to make the changes (this conversation happened on Friday) and over the weekend I fell ill. I was still continuing to research the changes the client wanted to be made, but on the following Tuesday, he closed the contract. He is now requesting a refund for the hours I billed him but I would like to dispute it. I do not see the option to dispute the refund requests. Can anyone help me? 

Did you use the Time tracker with recorded hours, memos and a good amount of clicks and keyboard?
If so, the client will not be able to do anything. You get paid for the hours, not for the quantity or quality of the work.

Or did you use manual hours?
So if the customer disputes the hours, they have everything to win.

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211068288-Hourly-Protection

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members