Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Client's Feedback

Ace Contributor
Rohan S Member Since: Mar 23, 2017
1 of 19

I think clients are becoming more like a dictator. Everything is fine, they are so happy with work and then they make it 4 or below that. I mean, what kind of people are they ??
And moreover freelancers are totaly hepless here. Like how can a freelancer predicts that a all happy client is going to give him a bad feedback ?? Because we are always fair with them. 

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 19

Rohan S wrote:

I think clients are becoming more like a dictator. Everything is fine, they are so happy with work and then they make it 4 or below that. I mean, what kind of people are they ??
And moreover freelancers are totaly hepless here. Like how can a freelancer predicts


You were not helpless.

Had you taken one look at the client's history and then used your brain, you'd never have worked with that client, ever, and this would not have happened.

 

That client's history SCREAMS "This can not end well!"

 

A freelancer's success is defined more by the clients they had the sense not to work with, than those they did.

Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
3 of 19

Rohan S wrote:

I think clients are becoming more like a dictator. Everything is fine, they are so happy with work and then they make it 4 or below that. I mean, what kind of people are they ??
And moreover freelancers are totaly hepless here. Like how can a freelancer predicts that a all happy client is going to give him a bad feedback ?? Because we are always fair with them. 


Managing client expectations is nearly everything.  You can do good work all day but one misunderstanding can undo all of that.  

 

So far none of my clients have been dicatators, some of them have been almost fearful in their approach, and some are somewhat aloof, and all of them have been human.  Any interaction with another human is colored by our most base instincts, by our lizard brain.  

 

Our lizard brain wants to invariable turn things into simple equations that it can solve with things like: RUN, FIGHT, other F word.  But people aren't as simple as we make them and the bottom line reason you know is you are not that simple.  The client that probably triggered your lizard brain but you probably also triggered things in theirs.

 

Your job, if you really want this job, is to recognize that both your lizard brain and your client's isn't very helpful in a meaningful interaction.  Good projects are mutually beneficial and good clients want you to succeed just as much as you want them too.  You manage a client's expectations by understanding what their lizard brain is telling them and having an answer that soothes the savage iguana.

 

Petra is probably right, because Petra is probably almost always right, and it was a bad client to start with (and their are definitely bad clients).  My problem is you took that interaction and extrapolated it across the board and that is this guy talking:

quincyphone.gif

 

You say you cannot predict what a client will do ... well you better get to a place that you CAN make that prediction.  If your client's are not talking enough for you to understand what is going on then you are NOT talking enough to them.  Communication is the key, otherwise you are just leaving them alone with Quincy the lizard.  And it's going to feed their fears.

 

 

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
4 of 19

I believe it's more about instinct than prediction (but also their history - I had to go look after reading everyone's comments. I would not have touched that client's RFP with a ten-foot pole, especially with this included caveat:

 

"We will provide an additional bonus of up to $10 (whoopee) upon the completion ... bonus is discretionary blah blah blah". All that, on top of a generous $20 budget. No thanks. 

Community Guru
Jonathan H Member Since: Jun 19, 2019
5 of 19

As Petra said above - look at the client feedback! Personally i would be wary of taking a low budget job from someone with that kind of consistent feedback. (if it was a big well paying job i would maybe take some careful steps towards it though)

 

One thing i have found though, some people will just mark down, maybe fair, maybe not - I have one client (that i have not seen for a while) - low budget small jobs, he was always really happy with the work. But i always got around 4 stars!

In the end i made a point of saying how important feedback and JSS is to freelancers (something i would never usually do) and that if there were any specific things that he didnt feel totally satisfied with, to let me know and i would try my best to resolve those issues. Next feedback was glowing - but still only a 4.x !!!

Maybe because he is on the other side of the world (despite me usually being up late night and in the early hours of the morning and replying to messages) he felt communication was lacking?

Maybe the skill was marked down because he wanted something 'other' than the very specific instructions he had given me.

I dont know, but i have learned that this kind of thing is often seems worse on low end jobs. 

 

ETA - I think Mark makes a good point about communication - especially in any kind of creative design area that is prone to alot of subjective feedback. Something i know i am concious of trying to improve with each contract (though it can be hard with some clients - and this is where only proposing to selcted jobs comes in)

Community Guru
Abinadab A Member Since: Sep 26, 2016
6 of 19

I think the solution is for Upwork to tweak the algorithm to make the Freelancer's feedback as important (or nearly as important)  as the client's feedback. It's not presently the case.

Community Guru
Jonathan H Member Since: Jun 19, 2019
7 of 19

freelancers feedback not as important? i dont know if i have misunderstood, but im not sure what you are trying to say. Not sure how that could help?

Community Guru
Abinadab A Member Since: Sep 26, 2016
8 of 19

Jonathan H wrote:

freelancers feedback not as important? i dont know if i have misunderstood, but im not sure what you are trying to say. Not sure how that could help?


Yes. Sometimes you see a 3-star client post a job and he'll quickly get flooded quickly with proposals.

 

Still this client clearly has a history of poor collaboration with freelancers.

Why did this freelancers still apply to their job?

 

Because the algorithm did not make the other freelancer's negative feedback to carry much weight.

 

The algorithm is secret anyway, so I can't explain in specific terms how this will work.

But if Upwork toughens up on client ratings, clients will do everything possible to maintain a great reputation. But they shouldn't toughen it up too much so they don't get discouraged. Just a few notches will do.

Community Guru
Jonathan H Member Since: Jun 19, 2019
9 of 19

OK, i see what you are saying - BUT, i dont think the 'algorithm' makes any difference to how much weight the feedback carries - if a client with poor feedback posts a job there is enough freelancers willing to submit a $5 bid on a $500 job that they dont care about feedback.

 

Feedback is clearly displayed for clients, i always take a look at it - my decision to propose to a job  has nothing to do with an algorithm, its up to me. Same story for a client - they can hire a freelancer with bad feedback if they choose to, though there is enough proposals to most jobs that they probably dont need to.

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
10 of 19

Abinadab A wrote:

Jonathan H wrote:

freelancers feedback not as important? i dont know if i have misunderstood, but im not sure what you are trying to say. Not sure how that could help?


Yes. Sometimes you see a 3-star client post a job and he'll quickly get flooded quickly with proposals.

 

Still this client clearly has a history of poor collaboration with freelancers.

Why did this freelancers still apply to their job?

 

Because the algorithm did not make the other freelancer's negative feedback to carry much weight.

 

The algorithm is secret anyway, so I can't explain in specific terms how this will work.

But if Upwork toughens up on client ratings, clients will do everything possible to maintain a great reputation. But they shouldn't toughen it up too much so they don't get discouraged. Just a few notches will do.


So Upwork could somehow stop people from being stupid? 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS