cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client's Work History & Feedback Set to Private?

Ace Contributor
Martin L Member Since: Mar 26, 2015
1 of 28

I was browsing open jobs and came across this:

private client feedback.jpg

Is this a temporary glitch, or are clients now allowed to set feedback to private?

Community Guru
Aleksandra K Member Since: Mar 31, 2015
2 of 28

Good luck with getting an answer to that Smiley Very Happy

A few days ago I contacted CS because I wanted to apply for a job where the client had 4.99 feedback score and over 1000 feedback but none of it was shown on the profile.

CS told me that at the moment that was the only thing that was available to the public but they suggested I apply for the job. I did, they contacted me, and I refused just because I couldn't verify the good feedback.

Of course when I asked CS whether there is an option to make the feedback private, they had a very good response that had nothing to do with my question.

Community Guru
Robert James R Member Since: Apr 17, 2015
3 of 28

And I thought I was just hallucinating earlier. 

Hmmm, maybe a few select clients have the option to keep comments private like how freelancers can do the same.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 28

Another Elance adoption. Elance did this a few months back. It's annoying because you can't research the customer at all. You can't see what they normally pay. Can't see if they are just a bad apple. Hate it.

But yeah, they gave customers a way to "hide" so all you can see is a number of projects. I'm kinda hesitant to bid with these customers but I don't totally eliminate them. I guess I weigh the RFP details much more heavily. If the RFP is poor and they are flipped to private, I usually respond with a few sentences like "Hey, I'd like to hear more but I need your URL." If they won't give me a URL, then I pass.

Community Guru
Tracye G Member Since: Sep 30, 2008
5 of 28

THAT IS OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!

Just HOW MANY ways does upworks plan to SCREW the freelancer. I WANT AN ANSWER!

The client gets to HIDE thier feedback???????????????? What world do you people live in????????????????

The freelancer has to put up with the 100% WRONG JS score from H^%L and upworks gives the client yet ANOTHER tool in thier belt to completley SCREW the freelancer!

The ONE and ONLY method I have to try and protect myself from a lazy, vindictive or clueless client is to look at the feeback score THEY GIVE OUT and the feedback score they get. If I see a client that routinely screws their freelancer with medium to low marks....I will NOT do business with them...and now upworks wants to remove even that LAST little option we have as freelancers to try and protect our businesses from rougue clients??????????????????

UNBELIEVABLE! The absolute arrogance of upworks never ceases to amaze me.

I am CONVINCED they want us all gone. There is no other logical explantion for this.

Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
6 of 28

Easy answer, just don't apply for any jobs where you see this.

Community Guru
Tracye G Member Since: Sep 30, 2008
7 of 28

Ramon....I agree UNTIL they all find out they can hide thier feedback and we the freelancer are left playing client russion roulette with a fully loaded gun!!!

Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
8 of 28

Most wouldn't bother anyway, particularly if they have good ratings. From what I've seen, most good clients anyway have little interest in, or knowledge of, how the platform works.

Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
9 of 28

I have two questions:

1. Can freelancer's opt into hiding their entire feedback history. If not, why not?

2. If a client decides to hide their feedback, most likely retrocactively, will it still show on the freelancer profile? If not, how can Upwork, on behalf of the client, decide what to display or not on the freelancer's profile without the freelancer's consent?

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
10 of 28

Yes, it shows on the freelancer's history but if you're researching a possible customer, you can't see what freelancers or jobs they have. The only way would be to accidentally stumble on the freelancer who worked wtih the client. Then, you can see the job and feedback.

I think the client's history should be shown at least if the user is logged in or at least for a freelancer who is invited. I get invited and a lot of times I'm hesitant with the privacy people. Some people are just being paranoid, but since I've gotten tangled with some bad customers who have a history of trying to get free work and had to fight them, I was more diligent with researching history. Then, they did this.

I handle it with a not-so-usual response and see how they respond. I'm not very organized and don't track anything, so I can't say if I've won any jobs from people who have privacy turned on. I always take everything on a case by case basis and avoid lumping everyone into a bucket. But, yeah, I really hate this new option. The freelancer is flying blind on the bidding process.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS