cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client's Work History & Feedback Set to Private?

Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
11 of 28

@Jennifer M wrote:

Yes, it shows on the freelancer's history but if you're researching a possible customer, you can't see what freelancers or jobs they have. The only way would be to accidentally stumble on the freelancer who worked wtih the client. Then, you can see the job and feedback.

Are you 100% sure about this? The reason for why I am asking is because my client opted into the hiding earnings program, and the totals don't show on his profile, and mine either.

noearningshistory.JPG

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
12 of 28

@Krisztina U wrote:

Are you 100% sure about this? The reason for why I am asking is because my client opted into the hiding earnings program, and the totals don't show on his profile, and mine either.

noearningshistory.JPG

ah, let me retract some of what I said. Sorry, not enough coffee and I'm in a little bit of panic mode too since Elance is my main source of income. I went back and found someone who was listed as private.

The freelancer will have the job in their history, feedback is shown, but the job shows as private. So, a customer can see the feedback but that's it. If you look at the customer, all his gigs will show as private, so you can't see jobs. You can see the name of the freelancer, but you can't see the job, any paid amounts,..

Would look more but I have to run to my workout class!

Community Guru
Aleksandra K Member Since: Mar 31, 2015
13 of 28

I was hoping it’s only a bug or isolated case but if every client can make their feedback private then we have a problem. It is enough to have three clients who turn out to be “difficult” and your JS goes down the drain.

Well done UpWork, keep up the good work!

Ace Contributor
Teresa R Member Since: Feb 6, 2012
14 of 28

I came across a client like this earlier. I took it as a bad sign and didn't apply for the job. Here's the way I see it: If you've got good feedback, why would you want to hide it? Someone who makes their feedback private does so because they have something to hide.

Community Guru
Tracye G Member Since: Sep 30, 2008
15 of 28

The more important data is what the client feedback to freelancers is...if that is hidden, then it is really client russian roulette with a fully loaded gun.

I vet my clients NOT based on thier feedback, but based on the feeback or lack thereof that they give to the freelancers...this is a huge indicator if they are difficult or vindictive clients.

If they routinely give good feedback, then the chances of them being fair and honest weighs in favor of a respectful working relationship, it also shows they have a level of understanding of how this one sided joke of a rating system works against the freelancer and they are willing to give honest feedback .

If they show a propensity to give 4. and less ratings, this tells me they enjoy the game of ruin the freelancer.

I refuse to take on clients that show that propensity.

If upworks removes our ability to see this, then there is nothing left for us to try and protect our business.

But does upworks care; that would be a big fat NOOOOOOO!

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
16 of 28

I've gotten more and more of the private client invites and seen them slightly more in the open market. I'd like to say I could give you info on responses and if the job seemed to be a no-go, but I don't track anything.

If I see that they have several jobs, then sometimes I might give it a shot. Depends on how they worded their RFP. I think some people are just paranoid. Like people who refuse to let cookies on their computer. But, they'll tell their life story publicly on FB and post where they are every second of the day. herp derp

Community Guru
17 of 28

@Teresa R wrote:

If you've got good feedback, why would you want to hide it? Someone who makes their feedback private does so because they have something to hide.

Because names and companies are often times referenced in feedback and I suppose some companies just don't want to disclose that they're hiring on Upwork (which given Upwork's rep, I really can't blame them for). I do agree that it makes it impossible to vet the client, but I would welcome this change if that rule went both ways, and freelancer's were free to do the same. Now if there are any advantages to doing it, is a whole separate matter, but I am a big fan of choice and privacy settings. 

I am also fairly certain that it's a big mistake to ignore clients that were allowed to hide everything, because only Upwork's biggest clients are allowed to do so in the 1st place.

Community Guru
Aleksandra K Member Since: Mar 31, 2015
18 of 28

Krisztina,

In other circumstances I would have no issues in working for a client that prefers to keep their information and feedback private. However, with the JS and the power that is given to clients I just think it is a huge risk.

And it’s not only the best clients who are given this opportunity. I am currently working for a client with 8 reviews (feedback) in total, only three of them are shown. The general score is 3.76 but the public feedback is all 5 starts. I am still not sure how much this will cost me.

Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
19 of 28

Aleksandra, the obvious question then is: can clients randomly select to hide certain/bad feedback? Which doesn't really work as you can still see the average score.

Or does the decision to make feedback private affect all feedback so we won't be able to see anything at all?

I still think in your case it is a bug and not necessarily related to the choice (selected?) clients are given.

Community Guru
20 of 28

@Aleksandra K wrote:

Krisztina,

In other circumstances I would have no issues in working for a client that prefers to keep their information and feedback private. However, with the JS and the power that is given to clients I just think it is a huge risk.

And it’s not only the best clients who are given this opportunity. I am currently working for a client with 8 reviews (feedback) in total, only three of them are shown. The general score is 3.76 but the public feedback is all 5 starts. I am still not sure how much this will cost me.

Hi Aleksandra, can you tell whether the hidden feedback contracts are old or fairly new? Up until a year or so ago, freelancers and clients could hide feedback (there was a button to do so). This feature was later replaced by the imho opinion much better solution of being able to respond to feedback. There was never a feature to hide all feedback including job titles though. 

I've been a big advocate for giving us the option to make our earnings private. I understand that some have no issues with telling the whole world what they make, and use it as a marketing tool, but it should also be possible to hide it, and if it hinders our ability to land a job then so be it. This was never implemented. Then about 2 years ago my client requested his payment history to be made private, not because he was paying peanuts, but because it caused problems - and his wish was granted instantly. He's spending a considerable amount per year, and the only other clients I have seen with private payment histories were the top 10% or so, so I assumed the same would be true for making feedback private. Maybe it's not. Clarification by the mods would be appreciated.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS