🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Client's behavior on upwork
Page options
abhishaku
Community Member

Client's behavior on upwork

Upwork team, you really got to look into your client's job posting. Everyday I feel problems with clients. I got declined for one of the jobs I applied for and while discussion client mentioned he is looking for some local candidates. I said thats abosolutely fine and then while rejecting my propsoal he mentioned, "read the job description carefully and write down correct cover letter, not copy and paste from template". What is this man? How do you know my cover letter is copied without even knowing my technical skills.

Upwork is making me sad day by day and I feel soon I will have to give up their platform.

Here clients want to exploit you with the amount. They want you to work for a very cheap amount despite knowing the efforts.

6 REPLIES 6
moonraker
Community Member

Many clients leave specific instructions in regard to how to write a cover letter. They do this in order to check that applicants have read job whole job description thoroughly. 

For example, some might ask somewhere in the job description that you start your application with the word 'banana'.

It sounds to me as though you did not follow those instructions, whatever they were. Thus, the client rejected your proposal. 

That is absolutely fine but during the conversation he mentioned about
location problem and then he declined with different reason.

Moreover this is not the first time its happening. I have met the clients
who even tell you what is value of your local currency and that you should
not ask for this much of amount. They want things to be done for penny
amount and dont even bother about knowing the effort.
petra_r
Community Member

Abhishek M wrote:

How do you know my cover letter is copied without even knowing my technical skills.

You are asking the wrong question...

The client did you a favour! Take a long, hard look at your proposal. What made the client feel that it was a generic, template based proposal? Those infuriate clients and are actually even reportable. People have been suspended for that.

In future, make sure your proposals properly address the client's job post and explain how hiring you will solve the client's specific issue.

Not only will you avoid conversations like the one you just had with the client and getting reported and potentially in trouble with Upwork, you also increase your chances of winning jobs.

I agree with your point that the client did me a favour but I am seriously
concerned about what kind of role upwork is playing. If a client can reject
me with some feedback cant I have rights to share my feedback for them as
well?

I would suggest upwork to implement such a feature as well where
freelancers and clients they both have equal opportunities. Currently it
seems to be totally client driven.

Abhishek M wrote:
If a client can reject me with some feedback cant I have rights to share my feedback for them as well?

Why? 

Feedback on why you were not accepted is for your information only. Nobody else sees it and it does not affect your JSS in any way. 

Jamie F wrote:

Abhishek M wrote:
If a client can reject me with some feedback cant I have rights to share my feedback for them as well?

Why? 

Feedback on why you were not accepted is for your information only. Nobody else sees it and it does not affect your JSS in any way. 

It doesn't affect the JSS, but his account now has a marker on it for this. Too many of those, and he'll be in trouble...

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths