🐈 Community
» Forums » Freelancers » Client's boss balking at hourly rate
Page options
editorfreelancer
Community Member

Client's boss balking at hourly rate

I just heard from my client that his boss wants me to switch from hourly to fixed. His reasoning? The massive amount of work needed (web content writing). I replied that I would not switch to a fixed rate because the hourly rate is most fair to both of us. I would never earn a fair wage on this project if I accepted a fixed rate.

My questions are: how likely is it that the client's boss will end my contract for refusing to go to a fixed rate? Can he do that? If so, what will that do to my job success score? 

4 REPLIES 4
charles_kozierok
Community Member

It's amusing to see someone attempt to rip off a freelancer in such a transparently obvious way. I mean, what possible reason could there be to switch from hourly to fixed because of the "massive amount of work needed" unless he wanted to scope-creep you to death or otherwise underpay? I'm pretty sure he's not doing it so he can offer you a massive sum that would be more than it would cost hourly.

Personally, I'd run, not walk. There's a good chance you will lose this client, but that's better than what you are being set up for here.

jmccpa
Community Member

If it were me, I would end the contract before the client does.

Based upon my experience, as the other poster said, this client will be nothing but grief.

Joe

Joseph M. C. ,P.C., CPA/ABV
kat303
Community Member

@Tracey H wrote:

I just heard from my client that his boss wants me to switch from hourly to fixed. His reasoning? The massive amount of work needed (web content writing). I replied that I would not switch to a fixed rate because the hourly rate is most fair to both of us. I would never earn a fair wage on this project if I accepted a fixed rate.

My questions are: how likely is it that the client's boss will end my contract for refusing to go to a fixed rate? Can he do that? If so, what will that do to my job success score? 

It's Very likely that y our client's boss will end the contract. he wants this to be a fixed rate and you want it hourly. Both a client and a freelancer can end a contract at any time for any reason. So, yes, this client's boss can do that. And he will probably give you a negative review. Your JSS may or may  not take a hit, It depends on how many successful jobs you've completed.You're top rated and have a perk. You can use that perk to remove both the public and the private feedback if needed.

Update: I told my client that I would not switch to a fixed rate, but I phrased it as a benefit to both of us. He would not pay for more work than I provided, and I would be paid only for the work I performed. I called it a win-win. He agreed, and we worked very well together from then on. In this case, it actually worked out! Woman Very Happy

Latest Articles
Upcoming Events
Feb 13
Feb 28
Upwork Community Virtual Hour
Community Hour English
Mar 28
Upwork Virtual Community Hour
Community Hour English
Learning Paths