cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client's boss balking at hourly rate

I just heard from my client that his boss wants me to switch from hourly to fixed. His reasoning? The massive amount of work needed (web content writing). I replied that I would not switch to a fixed rate because the hourly rate is most fair to both of us. I would never earn a fair wage on this project if I accepted a fixed rate.

My questions are: how likely is it that the client's boss will end my contract for refusing to go to a fixed rate? Can he do that? If so, what will that do to my job success score? 

4 REPLIES 4
charles_kozierok
Community Guru

It's amusing to see someone attempt to rip off a freelancer in such a transparently obvious way. I mean, what possible reason could there be to switch from hourly to fixed because of the "massive amount of work needed" unless he wanted to scope-creep you to death or otherwise underpay? I'm pretty sure he's not doing it so he can offer you a massive sum that would be more than it would cost hourly.

Personally, I'd run, not walk. There's a good chance you will lose this client, but that's better than what you are being set up for here.

jmccpa
Community Guru

If it were me, I would end the contract before the client does.

Based upon my experience, as the other poster said, this client will be nothing but grief.

Joe

Joseph M. C. ,P.C., CPA/ABV
kat303
Community Guru

@Tracey H wrote:

I just heard from my client that his boss wants me to switch from hourly to fixed. His reasoning? The massive amount of work needed (web content writing). I replied that I would not switch to a fixed rate because the hourly rate is most fair to both of us. I would never earn a fair wage on this project if I accepted a fixed rate.

My questions are: how likely is it that the client's boss will end my contract for refusing to go to a fixed rate? Can he do that? If so, what will that do to my job success score? 

It's Very likely that y our client's boss will end the contract. he wants this to be a fixed rate and you want it hourly. Both a client and a freelancer can end a contract at any time for any reason. So, yes, this client's boss can do that. And he will probably give you a negative review. Your JSS may or may  not take a hit, It depends on how many successful jobs you've completed.You're top rated and have a perk. You can use that perk to remove both the public and the private feedback if needed.

Update: I told my client that I would not switch to a fixed rate, but I phrased it as a benefit to both of us. He would not pay for more work than I provided, and I would be paid only for the work I performed. I called it a win-win. He agreed, and we worked very well together from then on. In this case, it actually worked out! Woman Very Happy

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS