Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client's credit card expired

lisawerk
Community Guru
Lisa W Member Since: Nov 14, 2015
1 of 11

One of my clients received a message that her credit card was expired. She is on the road and will be back tonight to update it, but I'm just curious - will this delay my payment for next week? The contract is hourly, so if she gets the CC updated during this week's 'review' period, will payment come next week like normal?

Also, I don't see anything strange on the job itself - can I still track time while the payment issue is being resolved?

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
2 of 11

Personally, I would not do any more work on this until the credit card issue is resolved.  I would note that credit cards don't expire without warning.

As for the rest, I have no idea about payments.

miroslav84
Community Guru
Miroslav M Member Since: Jan 21, 2016
3 of 11

There are many countries and many banks around the world where credit card expiry is not announced in writing to the holder shortly before it is going to happen.

However, an expiry date is a mandatory feature imprinted on every credit or debit card, and although it only tells the month and the year, card holders need to be timely on taking actions to reinstate it or have another one issued.

And agreed, none should deliver any work to clients as long as the clients' payment methods and/or bank accounts are compromised and have issues which are not resolved.

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
4 of 11

You definitely need to stop work until the issue is resolve.  Now don't take this to the bank as this is my understanding of how it works. If it was hourly, and you used the time tracker with memos and high levels of activity, then you will be covered under payment protection.  Any work that you do after recieving the notice about the contract being suspended you won't get.  If and when the client updates the cc Upwork will then charge the client for the amount that they covered through payment protection. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
lisawerk
Community Guru
5 of 11

Typically I would agree with not doing any work, but the type of work is pretty simple and doesn't require much from me right now, just a little 'awareness' of things that are happening in the background. I can afford to do a few minutes here and there without risking too much. There are some things that require me entering manual time, so I'll have about the same guarantee of payment I have any other week.

Most of the time is tracked though, so that part should be guaranteed for last week at least. I would normally consider it a warning sign, but I've never had payment problems before and I know the client has been traveling cross country for the last week and will be home today, so I guess we'll see if my instincts to trust are correct!

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
6 of 11

When  I was on Elance, I used to hear the "credit card expired" excuse all the time. Definitely don't do any work until she fixes it.

I had one client I'm sure changed the numbers in the system every time she hired me. Sure enough, every Saturday I'd get notice and I'd have to bug her and magically the card worked on Monday. It was annoying. Never heard so many payment excuses as I heard on Elance. lol

lisawerk
Community Guru
7 of 11

Well, another weird kind of twist once I talked to support. They said there are no problems with my client's credit card, but are refusing to tell me if her card was expired before she fixed it. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad there's not a problem, but shouldn't I be able to know if there was an issue with my client's form of payment, even if it only lasted 10 minutes?

I have no problem with Upwork acting as a payment mediator, and I appreciate the tracker guarantee, but fixed price contracts and manual time have no such guarantee, so it's up to me to trust the client or not. Without Upwork, I would confirm the payment information myself and make a decision if the client had frequent 'issues' regarding payment.

Since Upwork just confirmed that they can't tell me if there was ever a problem with my client's payment method, (apparently they run the card multiple times over the course of days before pausing a contract and informing the freelancer) they are witholding information that helps me make an informed decision about whether or not I should trust a client. I'm not asking them to protect every hour I work, but at least don't take away my ability to protect myself.

iaabraham
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
8 of 11

This has happened to me several times with different clients and at least 3 times with one of my long-term clients. 

Most of the time, their credit cards just expired and I've always been paid for the work done (according to the regular billing schedule). Only once did one of my clients have to issue me a bonus because Upwork didn't want to cover a few of the hours that I logged (low activity levels because I was proofreading a document that was mostly error-free).

Whatever you do, if the contract gets suspended, do not continue to log any further time on it until the issue is resolved. Sometimes this can take a day or two, sometimes a week.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
9 of 11

Generally credit cards expire at the end of a month. It *is* the end of the month in a few days.

Clients get several reminders before the card expires, so chances are your client got those reminders.

Provided the contract is NOT showing as "on hold" you have nothing to worry about (yet)

iaabraham
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
10 of 11

Just terrific - one of my contracts got put on hold this morning and the client has urgent work to be done. She was told by Upwork that it's a "security issue." 

Not sure what that means nor what to do now 😞

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS