cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client's freedoms to rate the job

Highlighted
Maja V Member Since: Nov 13, 2013
1 of 8
oDesk should seriously reconsider the freedom given to the clients when they rate/comment on our work. Whether someone likes something or dislikes, that it subjective opinion, and if someone who is least competent to comment on the quality of work, is given the freedom to publicly slander the work done for him, then it clearly puts us, designers, in a position of being exploited. Giving a refund, for a quality work delivered on time, along with the work files, is not the answer to this problem. Or even posting a 'freelancer response' to the bad feedback, it makes no difference - ultimately (taking my example) after nearly 50 wonderful feedback scores, there comes 1 incompetent client who slanders the work, whose comment is not supported by any education in the field and uses unprofessional language and makes a public mockery of the whole system with that one comment - because of that one person, from being a 5.00 designer, oDesk rates me on a lower scale. The comment is at the top on my profile and what would a potential think when he reads that one negative feedback? Because of one person's opinion, suddenly I don't qualify for a top designer? I am positive that many people have had the same problem, and I am sure they will support this suggestion to oDesk to change the whole rating process.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Gillian Michele N Member Since: Mar 15, 2012
2 of 8
I do understand your position, but if you have consistently received positive reviews then I think that most people would use common sense and judge your overall profile and not just 1 negative review. In time that review will drop to the bottom of the list and it won't be as obvious.
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Alexander N Member Since: Sep 14, 2013
3 of 8
Feedback on creative jobs will always be subjective. It is not programming engineering or math, where it either works or not (though shades of gray are also possible)So, simply put client didn't like result of your work. Big deal. Client acted like a spoiled kid. So did you. To me, it looks like you've stained your reputation by response comment much worse than client could ever do with bad feedback/low rating. So, from employers position I would steer clear of ever working with you. Same goes for this particular client - wouldn't want to be hired by the like of her. And to finish my little rant. There is no way oDesk will check quality of creative jobs. Keeping such extension to support team will be way to expensive.
Highlighted
4 of 8
Alexander N, please read the whole thing and get the point before you decide to leave your opinion. Since it's obvious that you've missed the point of this discussion let me sum it up for you - freelancers should be given an option to organize the while profile including the feedback scores and the order and visibility of the same. Also, giving a full refund in order for the comment to be removed is not an option, especially if that sum is let's say 1000$ or more. This gives every client the freedom to don't like the work and get a refund along with the finished product. I am sure that if this happens to you, you won't say "so what, big deal" ever again, will you? Bottom line is, if a client can say whatever they want, then we should be able choose whether we want that comment visible or not. If you don't agree, that's your right, good for you, hope business is awesome as ever,or if this doesn't affect you in any case, why bother say anything, but leave place for someone that shares my opinion on the matter to give his/hers support and ultimately oDesk to help us as well.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
5 of 8
Quite so. @ Maja: Unfortunately your score has been brought down to 4.97 by a low score. Well, sadly that happens - noone (well, hardly anyone) keeps their perfect five for ever without refunds, and the longer it goes on the more chance that a (possibly unwarranted or vexatious) bad score will come along - that's life on oDesk. In your case I think you're fortunate that it happened with a relatively low-priced job. The response is to stay professional and keep clawing it back with more and more five scores. Re your response to the feedback, I have to say that I don't even have to read it. Anything that is littered with words in uppercase is never anything but a rant (unless it's a discussion about when to use upper- and lower-case), and I agree with Alexander above - it looks childish and unprofessional and does nothing for your status. That's my honest opinion, from someone who has been there and got the teeshirt, and had their 4.98 slashed to 4.92 overnight because of one grumpy client.
Highlighted
6 of 8
No one asked for opinion on the syntax of the feedback, try to stay on topic, otherwise this whole discussion is pointless. Is that so hard?....meh, having to have to say this makes it even more pointless.. I guess there is no support on the matter of adding a hide button to the profile so I suppose there is no point to bother with suggestions to oDesk....gonna have to find other way..no wonder they say " If you want something done, do it yourself"
Highlighted
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
7 of 8
That says it all really. Two people have offered you constructive criticism for free. Take it or leave it.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
8 of 8
I think the real concern should be clients who give fraudalent low ratings and feedback just to get a refund. I've experienced that myself before and refunded the client (thankfully it was not a big-budget project). But that was before (a long time ago), and I realised that it is a mistake to refund such clients because it gives them incentive to keep doing it and places other contractors at risk. The right way to go about it is to report the client (especially if you have concrete evidence) so they can be reviewed when enough freelancers have flagged or reported them. We also discussed an issue like this at https://www.odesk.com/community/node/35238 Personally, as a client, I find it a bit insulting that you seem to think we will just base our hiring on a single review. You have to have more faith in your talent (we can view your portfolio you know). We are also capable of judging work and we do have a sense of aesthetics same as you do. Saying your client has no competence to judge or form an opinion about your work sounds conceited. Sure, the client may be unfair but generalising clients as people who are least competent (it sounds like that in your first paragraph) makes you sound very unprofessional and makes your valid concern sound like an invalid one. I know artists have big egos but really, people do not need advanced degrees to give feedback, as you said, it is subjective. I understand you were angry when you posted the topic but lots of great artists do not have advanced degrees and yet they are still deemed 'competent' and 'great'. With the above said, I agree that freelancers should have a choice which feedbacks to feature on the front page of their profiles and there should be a way to flag/report scamming clients as long as there is written proof that the client is trying to use feedback to get free work by getting a refund. By the way, 4.97 is not bad. I too used to have a perfect 5.0 which was brought down by a less than perfect score from a client who claimed the score was left by oDesk and not him (he's lying). The score is not the problem, but the lying was. Anyway, I did not refund that client and did not get angry about it. It took some time to get a higher rating back but it happened so yey! Anyway, 4.97 is very very very good, and I'm saying this both from a freelancer's point of view and a client's point of view as I hire people for projects here as well. I think most people will agree that 4.97 still makes you a top designer so please cheer up and continue rocking your other jobs and in no time, that client's rating will be buried Smiley Happy

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS