Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client's location

Highlighted
Community Guru
Natasa R Member Since: Feb 2, 2012
1 of 23

I just noticed that a client's location is showing United States and Guangzhou. Can clients set two different locations?

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 23

Thank you for your question, Natasa. Neither clients nor freelancers are able to set two different locations for their accounts on oDesk. It could be that the client attempted to change their location and it hasn't been processed yet so it shows the United States as a country, but Guangzhou as a city or province. If you don't mind, please report this to Customer Support so they can check the client's account.

Thank you!

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Natasa R Member Since: Feb 2, 2012
3 of 23

Thank you Valeria! 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
4 of 23

I applied for a job and just noticed that the client's location and time zone don't match. Apparently he/she is located in New York, but the time zone is the same as mine UTC +2.

Does that mean he/she is actually based in Europe?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 23
Interesting discussion... No offense meant to those wondering about their clients' locations. I'm sure they have their reasons. Or maybe they're just curious, which is fine, too.

But personally I couldn't care less about a client's location. I'm not a virtual assistant and I don't need to alter my work schedule to accommodate clients, so it doesn't really matter to me.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
6 of 23

@Preston H wrote:
Interesting discussion... No offense meant to those wondering about their clients' locations. I'm sure they have their reasons. Or maybe they're just curious, which is fine, too.

But personally I couldn't care less about a client's location. I'm not a virtual assistant and I don't need to alter my work schedule to accommodate clients, so it doesn't really matter to me.

For those of us who are not as lucky as you it can be a real issue. 

I've just had two clients with this issue. Both say they are in the US and then I find out they are in Japan and Saudi Arabia. Because I have limited working hours this has made working with them very difficult. I guess clients don't have to verify anything like freelancers have to do.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
7 of 23
I see this all the time - where the client's location details on their job posting page are completely different to the ones I see in the sidebar when messaging them, or on our contract details page.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
8 of 23

I am not saying it is necessarily a big problem - though it can be as Jean stated. 

I am just wondering how the location/time zone feature works. I seem to remember that I simply entered my location and the time zone was displayed automatically and hence matches my location. Or am I wrong? That's all I want to know.

After all, why would I state that I am in NYC when I am actually based in Germany? Obviously it is of utmost importance to Upwork that all information provided is authentic - at least when it concerns freelancers. 

BTW, no offense either, but it isn't exactly helpful when people reply stating that they don't care about this - I do, otherwise I wouldn't be asking. Because I am looking at a client with a less than stellar track record.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
9 of 23

It is also relevant whether a client is six hours behind or four hours ahead of you...

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
10 of 23

@Ela K wrote:

BTW, no offense either, but it isn't exactly helpful when people reply stating that they don't care about this - I do, otherwise I wouldn't be asking. Because I am looking at a client with a less than stellar track record.

Unfortunately some come into a discussion that has no affect on them and for what reason I do not know, seem to feel the need to make lite of difficulities others are having.

Flippant remarks like that don't help anyone. They need to realize people posted the questions because it is affecting them and if that's all they have to add to the conversation they should move on. It's starting to happen a little too often these days.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS