Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client's location

Highlighted
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
11 of 23
I generally try to avoid posting in any thread with some members that are generally condescending while attempting to give help. My reply would no doubt be rude.
---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Highlighted
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
12 of 23

I wouldn't see it as a flippant remark. I'd see it as someone who has a genuine opinion about it and wants to add a balancing input from their ow experience. Others may see it as irrelevant or unhelpful, but that's not the same as flippant or disruptive- I believe the opinion would have been given in all good faith. We are all different personalities in this small intimate part of the big virtual world, and there is a big difference between someone who wants to disrupt and someone who genuinely wants to be helpful - whatever way their opinions come across.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
13 of 23
flippant
ˈflɪp(ə)nt
adjective
not showing a serious or respectful attitude.

I think that adequately describes the personality.
---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Highlighted
Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
14 of 23

Very good points Stephen. However, I often consider any trends in the tone of conversations. Of course, it could just be my own perception, which could easily be incorrect.

Ron aka LanWanMan
Highlighted
Community Guru
15 of 23

Some content DELETED by author; definitely flippant, sorry everyone Smiley Sad

Regarding the original post, I always like to know my clients' real locations so that I can schedule my workload effectively. I actually try to maintain clients in the same geographical areas in order to simplify that process. Also, I usually "vet" clients before accepting any hire. If they do not pass, I pass....

Here's a link to my favorite time converter: http://www.worldtimebuddy.com/

Ron aka LanWanMan
Highlighted
Community Guru
Khadezatul K Member Since: May 1, 2015
16 of 23

I see this all the time - where the client's location details on their job posting page are completely different to the ones I see in the sidebar when messaging them, or on our contract details page. ............................

I am agree with this I saw some clients from canada...when I talk over skype I saw he/she was from other country..................how? 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
17 of 23

@Khadezatul K wrote:

I see this all the time - where the client's location details on their job posting page are completely different to the ones I see in the sidebar when messaging them, or on our contract details page. ............................

I am agree with this I saw some clients from canada...when I talk over skype I saw he/she was from other country..................how? 

I think in the past Odesk did not verify contractors locations the way they do today and many used USA address as they felt it would give them a benefit in the job market. 

This continues to happen - no verification - with clients. Too many are saying they are in the US when in reality they are someone else on the globe. Clients do not have to jump through any hoops at all.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
18 of 23
I'm certainly not belittling or making light of the question to offer the perspective that client locations are not a factor for me. If you really think about many jobs and work arrangements, you should be able to imagine that other than satisfying curiosity, the client's location is often immaterial.

I assume that most Upwork contractors bid on jobs without considering this factor or changing their bidding behavior because of it.

This is not the same as saying that it it is never important, as I acknowledged in my original post.

If some of you are concerned that some clients lie about their physical location, I would say that my best guess is: Upwork doesn't really care and doesn't run the same algorithms and checks on clients that it does in contractors to try to verify location and suspend accounts with false or misleading information.
Highlighted
Community Guru
19 of 23

If some clients do indeed sign-up with Upwork stating they reside in the US and they don't, I wonder how Upwork handles tax reporting issues for those clients. Maybe that's how Upwork prevents those erroneous sign-ups (W9 filing before withdrawing funds). Was that "W9" or "W" something else...lol.... It's been a while.

Ron aka LanWanMan
Highlighted
Community Leader
Julie T Member Since: Sep 29, 2011
20 of 23

Since I do quite a bit of writing (not necessarily on this platform) about emergining biomedical technologies and applications of basic science, I avoid working with clients from areas known to engaging in stealing or spoofing intellectual property for legal and ethical reasons. I have had an occasion on this platform when a client's profile information indicated he/she was located in the US, when in reality they were in another area of the globe. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS