🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client's requested a chargeback
Page options
khadija_bilal
Community Member

Client's requested a chargeback

Hey, okay so I worked with a client and wrote 2 articles for him a few weeks ago. He was happy with the work and paid for it. He didn't end the contract but the contract was suspended by upwork due to issues with the client's financial institution. The client then contacted me via a different upwork account, saying that he will contact me from that account from now on.

Now the problem is, I got a message from upwork that the client has requested a chargeback for the amount he paid and hence they are putting a hold so I can't withdraw my funds until they deduct the amount from my account. Upwork also mentioned that they can file a rebuttal in my behalf to the bank. So i provided them with all the evidence and the articles I wrote for him.

Now upwork says that the bank will make the final decision and it can take up to 90 days for them to decide. They have put a hold on my funds so i can't withdraw. Does that mean that I have to wait for 90 days to withdraw my earnings? That's bizarre and truly unfair to me to not access the money I worked hard for. What should I do in this situation? I have contacted the client directly, I did see him online as well, but he never responded.

If upwork can't protect us against these scams, what are we here for and who can we trust? I need help, please. 

2 REPLIES 2
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Khadija,

Only hourly contract payments are fully protected by Upwork, and that protection is dependent on you following the hourly time tracking rules to the letter.

If payments made under fixed price projects are reversed due to a chargeback from the bank that issued your "client's" credit card, there is nothing Upwork can do to fulfill payment to you. Upwork receives no money from the client (or its fee on your project) = no payment to you by Upwork.

arssal
Community Member

Good suggestion.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members