Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client's response times recently

puicolorat
Ace Contributor
Andreea B Member Since: Nov 1, 2014
1 of 4

Hi,

Does anyone else feel like the client's response times have dramatically decreased in the past year or so? 

I remember when I got my first projects on upwork (it was called oDesk then), after their first response the clients would immediately answer any questions/replies. Now I get an answer from a client, I instantly reply (as soon as I get the email) and they are already offline and not getting an answer for days (even weeks sometimes). 

Is this only happening to me? or do you think that the new messaging system is enforcing this behavior in some way?

miroslav84
Community Guru
Miroslav M Member Since: Jan 21, 2016
2 of 4

Same here. Clients will discuss the job, then go on for weeks without any signs of further interest, but later they send an offer. This might perhaps be a sign of increased supply of freelancers, a large number of those who attract with their low rates, but show no quality in the end.

Did you check if the same job was offered to someone else before and shoes in the client's history?

puicolorat
Ace Contributor
Andreea B Member Since: Nov 1, 2014
3 of 4

@Miroslav M wrote:

Same here. Clients will discuss the job, then go on for weeks without any signs of further interest, but later they send an offer. This might perhaps be a sign of increased supply of freelancers, a large number of those who attract with their low rates, but show no quality in the end.

Did you check if the same job was offered to someone else before and shoes in the client's history?

I usually check their open jobs, yes. I also get contacted weeks or months after but not with an offer, just with more questions. They seem like they want to hire me, but then go back to 0 communication and it's a bit annoying to me.

I also have one client who EVENTUALLY sent in an offer and their response time is a couple of days for each question I have..I haven't been able to begin working because they haven't provided me with all the details to be able to begin. I told them clearly what I needed to begin work and they just always give me partial information which basically forces me to ask them again ("but what about this X thing that I mentioned I need?"). Can't help but worry a bit that this might end up affecting my JS score because they will blame me for the delay.. I'm curious how this project will pan out.

I also agree with Tonya that the fact that the market expanded like this could also be a factor.. Oh well.. 

I worry too much about projects I haven't even received yet, I guess.

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
4 of 4

Times have changed. There were fewer clients, freelancers and freelance platforms years ago than there are now. A prospective client have posted the same job on several job boards and hired elsewhere, or just chosen another freelancer at Upwork. The process has become more casual. It is unlikely that you will hear back from a client who opts not to hire you. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS