🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client says she'll add a new milestone when p...
Page options
dbd428af
Community Member

Client says she'll add a new milestone when payment time comes

Hi,

My client says she'll add a new milestone when payment time comes(there's no milestone left).

But she wants me to start working now.

Wasn't I supposed to start working after she adds a new milestone? I'm a bit confused.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Jiwon:

Never work on an unfunded milestone.

It does not matter what the client says.

If the client says that she will fund a milestone when it is time to pay, then she is asking you to work for free.

You need to NOT WORK on a task unless the money to pay for that task is FUNDED.

If the client has questions about this, tell her she may ask her questions in the Community Forum.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
prestonhunter
Community Member

Jiwon:

Never work on an unfunded milestone.

It does not matter what the client says.

If the client says that she will fund a milestone when it is time to pay, then she is asking you to work for free.

You need to NOT WORK on a task unless the money to pay for that task is FUNDED.

If the client has questions about this, tell her she may ask her questions in the Community Forum.

Hi Preston, thank you!

I knew it wasn't right, but got confused cause she was so firm.

Thank you so much for your reply. 

re: "I knew it wasn't right, but got confused cause she was so firm."

Well, she has no way to force you to do anything.

You can even ignore her if she says something wrong. Like this:

Client: "You need to start the work now. After you finish, I'll fund the payment and then release the payment to you."

Freelancer: "Okay, the cost for that is $230. I have time to work on that today. I'll get started as soon as that milestone is funded. I have some things to do now, and may not have a chance to read messages, but I'll monitor the escrow account and reply as soon as I see the next task funded."

And then: Radio silence. You say NOTHING else.

You ONLY reply if she funds escrow. If she says anything and doesn't fund escrow, then you can come here and describe basically what she is saying. But really important: Do not respond. Send no messages.

Oh! okay. Thank you. Anyway, why not send message? Can sending messages be dangerous too?

re: "Oh! okay. Thank you. Anyway, why not send message? Can sending messages be dangerous too?"

Sending messages is not dangerous.

You DO need to send ONE message:
The message telling her that she needs to fund the escrow payment, and that you will reply after you see the money has been funded.

After that:

You are not going to send her messages because you have nothing to talk to her about.

If she wants you to WORK FOR FREE, then why do you want to talk to her?

She knows what the task is.
She knows how much it costs.
She knows you can do it.
If she wants you to do the task, she will fund escrow.

Otherwise, she is just talking in vain.

She is not going to convince you to work for free, because you don't work for free on Upwork.

If you see a message that you think is worth discussing, then come here to the Forum and tell us about it. We can help you decide if you should reply.

But I think some silence will help this client understand that she can't trick you into working for free.

You're right. Thank you for the wise advice. 

pgiambalvo
Community Member

Have her set up and fully fund the milestone before doing any more work. And since she's being kind of fishy, if it were me, when it comes time to submit the work, I'd say it's finished and it's great and if she wants it, approve the milestone before sending her the finished work. But also say something like after you do and I send it, I'd be happy to address any notes you may have on it for free.

Peter G wrote:

Have her set up and fully fund the milestone before doing any more work. And since she's being kind of fishy, if it were me, when it comes time to submit the work, I'd say it's finished and it's great and if she wants it, approve the milestone before sending her the finished work. But also say something like after you do and I send it, I'd be happy to address any notes you may have on it for free.

This is bad advice, contrary to how milestones are supposed to work. Demanding a client approve payment before submitting the work is no different--no better--than a client demanding you do the work before the milestone is funded. If a client is "being fishy" then all the more reason to do everything by the book. Setting up contract terms is the time to specify how notes/revisions will be handled, e.g., fee includes one round of revisions or fee covers submission of camera-ready copy per client brief, revisions to be addressed separately or whatever you and the client agree to. Stick to the specs as negotiated; start work after the milestone is funded, not before; use the Submit button; be prepared for notes/revisions as agreed. Don't play games with them at that point, that's a sure way to invite bad feedback and understandably so.

Peter G wrote:

And since she's being kind of fishy, if it were me, when it comes time to submit the work, I'd say it's finished and it's great and if she wants it, approve the milestone before sending her the finished work.

Appalling advice.

data_divas
Community Member

Dear client, I'm excited and ready to start working on your project but unfortunately I'm unable to start work when the milestone remains unfunded.  Please let me know as soon as the milestone has been funded and then I can get to work on your project and finish it as soon as possible.

Thanks!

Nice words! Thank you for the advice, Julie.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members