🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client says they started contract unintention...
Page options
b69a582f
Community Member

Client says they started contract unintentionally?

I could use some advice please. I have been helping with 74 year old woman who had wanted an editor for her book. I spent over an hour and a half with her on the phone while she went on and on about her book and she decided that she wanted me to be the one to help her. She started a contract last week. I did the sample chapters and the introduction so that we could make sure we were both on the same page and she could see the edits. She could not see them. So I spent four hours redoing the big section in multiple different formats so that she could see them. She now says that she wants to cancel the contract she did not mean to do one and evidently she had a contract with another person at the same time and wants to go with them because they are cheaper. So here's my thoughts. Obviously I'm not going to get paid for the time I have put into this. But is it going to affect my score? Obviously I did not ask for the contract to end and I'm kind of Blindsided I did not know that she hired a second person and was picking between us! Any suggestions or reassurance that this is not going to affect my rating?
4 REPLIES 4
sjbercot
Community Member

If she hasn't paid you anything, then she won't be able to review you when you or she cancels the contract. However, no-earnings contracts do eventually negatively affect JSS (hard to say exactly how much). 

Thank you. I wish it wasn't so, doesn't seem fair when it's not a freelancer's fee ault to have the score knocked down.

I hear you. Just try to make sure everything is in order and clear before you accept contracts, the best you can, and this shouldn't happen very often at all.

JoanneP

Hi Sarah, 

You can discuss this with your client so that you can agree on how to end the contract with consideration to the time you have spent working on the project. The client has the option to submit a partial payment for you instead of releasing the amount deposited for the funded milestone. In general, when a contract fails to lead to any earnings your JSS will be negatively impacted. You can learn more about JSS on this help article

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths