Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client scammed and I'm receiving not support at all

karolay-melendez
Ace Contributor
Carolay M Member Since: Oct 22, 2017
1 of 11

Hey!

So I'm just going to share with you my case... I have a client, she is always posting proofreading and translations jobs. She hired nine people in one of those projects and I was among those people. She gave me a milestone, and everything was ok. When I sent her my work, she requested changes and but didn't say anything. More than 14 days passed and I had not a single word coming from her so I decided to get in touch and she did pay me.

(I should say at this point that she is extremely active on the platform. She is always online and posting jobs. Her feedback is really good. Lots of people say she is honest).

Last work was a large document that I had to check and fix. I did, she gave me very little hours but I worked exhaustively and finished way too long before the deadline. But when I was going to send the file... milestone wasn't updated! So I asked her to do something and she answered me "You can send it here... I know but you can upload the file here too". Seeing that I was hesitating she said: "Confirm if you're gonna send it because the work should have been delivered too many hours ago". Of course, I was shocked. I was still on time!!! She knew that I was on time and I have proofs to confirm it. However, I just thought "Whatever, she will pay me" and I sent the document. After I did... she got back to her terrible and horrific manners: she ignores, she doesn't know that the word "thanks" exists, and she just talks to say that she needs something urgently. So I've been texting ever since asking her how the work was, and asking for my payment of course. She's been online all these days (it's been more than a week now) but she just ignores my messages.

I contacted UpWork and the first thing they say: We can not take actions because there was no money funded. Yeah!!! I know that!! Although I want my money back, what I want the most now is to have that kind of horrible clients outside of the platform. Two agents just said that they were going to send her a message and they did and that was it. She (client) never answered either me or UpWork... and her account continues as usual: she's posting jobs and she's online after stealing my money.

I know I did wrong but it doesn't change the fact that I've been scammed and all the customer service team does is texting the client. I'm not asking UpWork to give me that money. I'm just saying that you should care a bit more about our interests and have those clients out. She could be scamming someone else right now! So, Upwork... could you be more present in these cases and at least let the client experiment real consequences for her behavior?

gilbert-phyllis
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
2 of 11

Carolay, it's always frustrating to work and not get paid, but nothing has changed since the first time you posted about this. You chose to work wtihout a funded milestone, for a client you had already experienced as uncommunicative and difficult to interact with. When the work was finished and she refused to fund the milestone you submitted the work anyway and now you're upset that she's remaining uncommunicative as always. You want UW to lower the boom on her somehow, even as you also say she is very active on the platform and has "really good feedback." Why on earth would UW do that? The client was only able to "scam" you because you ignored best practice and misused the platform. In any case, if she were a habitual scammer, how would she have so much good feedback? Something doesn't quite add up. 

karolay-melendez
Ace Contributor
3 of 11

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
4 of 11

Perhaps the feedback looks good because the other freelancers you mention understand how to work safely and got paid - a necessity if you're going to work on this site. I'm not excusing the client, but if she's money maker, Upwork is not going to remove her because one freelancer didn't work with a proper funded milestore or tracked hours.

None of us like to hear these stoies; but it's not about empathy, it's about the fact that it gets old hearing complaints from freelancers who ignore what they need to do to work safely, and then complain when they don't get paid.

@Carolay M wrote:

Why on earth would UpWork do that? Umm, Let me think... oh yes! Because she scammed a freelancer? Why does she have a positive feedback although she's (probably) a habitual scammer? Maybe because UpWork has ignored other freelancers she's scammed like she did with me? 

Phyllis G. a fraud remains a fraud, whether you have made thing easier for the person or you haven't.  Can't believe how people who have not empathy insists in justify the client. She stole my money but I'm the bad one because I was naive. 

karolay-melendez
Ace Contributor
5 of 11

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
6 of 11

@Carolay M wrote:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Ouch, this comparison is very out of line.

Back to this client, you don't know what's gonna to happen. Maybe the customer support will notify the trust & safety team and maybe there will be consequences. Let see if an Upwork moderator can chime in...

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
7 of 11

@Carolay M wrote:

Exactly, she's a money maker and that's why UpWork (taking care of its own interest) won't remove her. So your arguments is that is ok what she did because I allowed her to do it. This remains me those who say women are rapped because they were looking too attractive.

The point here is not what I did wrong because I'm aware of it! The point is: Client DESERVES consequences for stealing money. That's it. I'm pretty sure other clients of her have been through this but they just received the same nonsense answer: "You misused the platform". I know I did and I would never do it again. But doesn't change the fact: she's a thief, she basically asked for free work and violated policies. God! Really wish to find someone who understands such a simple argument.

Perhaps you missed this: "I'm not excusing the client". "None of us like to hear these stories". To compare what I wrote as you did is inexcusable.

So I'll bow out of this thread, because you are only reading the parts you want to read and igorning all the rest. Good luck to you.

gilbert-phyllis
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
8 of 11

@Carolay M wrote:

Exactly, she's a money maker and that's why UpWork (taking care of its own interest) won't remove her. So your arguments is that is ok what she did because I allowed her to do it. This remains me those who say women are rapped because they were looking too attractive.

The point here is not what I did wrong because I'm aware of it! The point is: Client DESERVES consequences for stealing money. That's it. I'm pretty sure other clients of her have been through this but they just received the same nonsense answer: "You misused the platform". I know I did and I would never do it again. But doesn't change the fact: she's a thief, she basically asked for free work and violated policies. God! Really wish to find someone who understands such a simple argument.

When Upwork makes money, it means freelancers are making money. Clients are the ones who bring the money, without them we can all pack up and go home. UW is never going to persecute a client with a lot of activity and positive feedback, because one freelancer who ignored the rules and professional best practices, cries Foul! If you wind up not getting paid, then yes, the client cheated you. Is it possible she's letting you stew for a bit and plans to fund and release the milestone when she jolly well gets round to it? I still don't understand how she could have so much good feedback if, as you claim, she's a habitual cheat. Also, if she is so dishonest, why did she pay you the first time?

Your rape analogy is ridiculous and in very poor taste. A more apt comparison is someone who leaves their car parked on the street overnight with a cell phone and laptop clearly visible in the front seat. Maybe they won't spend the next day arranging to have a window replaced, cancelling accounts, changing passwords, etc. But if they do, then you gotta ask, what did they expect?

craiggabriel
Community Leader
Craig G Member Since: Jun 20, 2017
9 of 11

I'm inclined to agree with Carolay. (I'm assuming for the sake of argument that the events happened as she recounted them.)

I don't think crooks should only suffer consequences if their victims take all prudent countermeasures to avoid being victims.

cylver1z
Community Guru
Ryan C Member Since: Feb 3, 2017
10 of 11

Hello Carrolay,

I'm sorry to hear that you experienced this using our platform. I can only advise that you should not start working/submit any work to your client if the milestone/contract is not funded or the client's billing method is unverified. Please read this article to help you avoid questionable jobs. Thank you.

Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS