cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client scammed me - probably left bad feedback. What are my options?

aa_barker

This is the third job done with this client.

We agreed on $500 for a web development job. After I completed the work on the my own demo site (I own this site), this is what she sent:

-----------------

**edited for Community Guidelines**

-------------------------

After I delivered the site to the 'demo ', she closed the job on upwork, changed the login credentials and hasn't messaged me since.

The client only funded $300 of the $500 agreed - this is very deceptive.

As far as I'm aware, if I've delivered the work, this is my fault for not checking escrow and Upwork takes no responsibility.

I worry I've recieved bad feedback despite developing a pixel-perfect website. I'm not concerned about the money, I'm concerned about my reputation.

I would like to leave her feedback to warn other freelancers - I'm concerned she will see the bad feedback, and then change my feedback to 1*, damaging my reputation.

What are my options in terms of saving my reputation?

Thank you in advance for your support.

Adam

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Adam B wrote:

To clarify - if we get 2 bad clients, say over a 5 year period, we're out of luck? Or does Upwork look at it on a case by case basis?

Under the perk you can remove one contract per every 10 contracts, no more frequently than once every 3 months, as long as you are top rated.

So you can run into a lot (up to 20) of bad clients over a 5 year period... 😉

Upwork can not "look into stuff on a case by case" basis. The sheer volume of freelancers, clients and contracts makes that impractical and prohibitive cost-wise..

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
petra_r
Community Guru

As you have already noted, you missed the boat on the funding.....

That said, have you discussed the remaining $ 200 with the client? Did you ask her about it, professionally and calmly?

@Adam B wrote:

I would like to leave her feedback to warn other freelancers - I'm concerned she will see the bad feedback, and then change my feedback to 1*, damaging my reputation.

What are my options in terms of saving my reputation?

The client can only change the feedback she left you if you enable her to do so. That means whatever feedback she's left you is the feedback you've got.

Plus, you are top rated, so you have the top rated perk of having one contract removed from your JSS calculation and / or removing the feedback (it is replaced by "This feedback has been removed")

Hi Petra,  that's helpful to know. Yes I have messaged her, she blocked me on Skype, and ignored me on Upwork.

As I'm able to provide photographic evidence I was scammed, is it fair I should have to use my perk now? What if a job really does go badly, and it's my fault? 

I saw in another post Upwork staff reached out and said they'd email the freelancer who was tricked. Do Upwork still do this?

I've got screenshots of the conversation - the client (and the project milestones) clearly state they want to tranfer the project for demo purposes.

I don't care about the client being repremanded - I see it as unfair I have to 'spend' my perk on a client who showed themselves to be unprofessional and untrustworthy, espcially in the context of my 100% 5* rating.

And thank you for your previous reply!

Adam

@Adam B wrote:

Hi Petra,  that's helpful to know. Yes I have messaged her, she blocked me on Skype, and ignored me on Upwork.

As I'm able to provide photographic evidence I was scammed, is it fair I should have to use my perk now? What if a job really does go badly, and it's my fault?

I think you may be misunderstanding the purpose of the perk. It is not designed to give you a "get out of ail free" card for when you yourself mess up, it is designed to allow you to mitigate the impact of a bad client.

So this situaton is exactly what the perk is for.

Ok, thanks.

To clarify - if we get 2 bad clients, say over a 5 year period, we're out of luck? Or does Upwork look at it on a case by case basis?

Adam

@Adam B wrote:

Under the perk you can remove one contract per every 10 contracts, no more frequently than once every 3 months, as long as you are top rated.

So you can run into a lot (up to 20) of bad clients over a 5 year period... 😉

Upwork can not "look into stuff on a case by case" basis. The sheer volume of freelancers, clients and contracts makes that impractical and prohibitive cost-wise..

View solution in original post

Oh - that's fair enough.

Yes I think that should cover the occasional bad client - I know what to look for now. This will be the last time I don't get all the money due to me.

Thanks Petra.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS