🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client send a contract form to sign in pdf fo...
Page options
iamabdurrahman
Community Member

Client send a contract form to sign in pdf form, what should i do?

Client send a contract form to sign in pdf form, what should i do? Is there any problem if i sign?

**Edited for community guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Client send a contract form to sign in pdf form, what should i do? Is there any problem if i sign?"

I don't see any problem with this contract.

Especially given the fact that you live in Sri Lanka and the client does not.

If it was me, I would sign the contract, create the logo, and get paid the $50.

You can look at this client's track record... his hiring history. If previous freelancers rate him well and aren't complaining... then he's probably just being thorough or asking freelancers to sign something that somebody in his legal department told him to give to them.

Obviously some of the language in this boiler plate contract does not relate directly to Upwork, or is awkwardly worded when considering actual Upwork procedures. But as long as the client obeys all Upwork rules, I personally wouldn't care about that wording.

If you want an attorney to advise you regarding this contract to create a logo for $50, then you can hire an attorney. I'm not an attorney.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Client send a contract form to sign in pdf form, what should i do? Is there any problem if i sign?"

I don't see any problem with this contract.

Especially given the fact that you live in Sri Lanka and the client does not.

If it was me, I would sign the contract, create the logo, and get paid the $50.

You can look at this client's track record... his hiring history. If previous freelancers rate him well and aren't complaining... then he's probably just being thorough or asking freelancers to sign something that somebody in his legal department told him to give to them.

Obviously some of the language in this boiler plate contract does not relate directly to Upwork, or is awkwardly worded when considering actual Upwork procedures. But as long as the client obeys all Upwork rules, I personally wouldn't care about that wording.

If you want an attorney to advise you regarding this contract to create a logo for $50, then you can hire an attorney. I'm not an attorney.

The client posted 6 jobs but no hires, that's why i asked. Thank you for your quick response.

re: "The client posted 6 jobs but no hires..."

That is not a very impressive hiring record. This is definitely not a client I would trust blindly or easily.

This might indicate a client who intends to cheat freelancers or cheat Upwork.

Whether a cilent has zero hires, or 100 hires, you need to follow the same rules:

Including:

All payments must go through Upwork.

If you feel uneasy about this, then thank the client and end communications with him. If you want to work for the client, then feel free to return to the Forum to ask us about anything at all... If he does anything fishy then I can guarantee you that Forum participants and moderators will be able to help you.

Edited.

Preston, please treat people's profiles more carefully. Enough damage done for one week.

Bad advice seriously affects peoples' lives.

Whether a client has zero hires or 100 hires, you need to follow the same rules:  
Thank you for the Great Advice "Pretson"
Finally, I got hired. 🙂

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Abdur R wrote:
Client send a contract form to sign in pdf form, what should i do? Is there any problem if i sign?

Disregard Preston's advice,  he probably has not read the contract. If you sign this, you agree to circumvention, which will make your profile disappear faster than you can say (insert a short word here).  

Clients never need to send contracts to work on upwork, if you receive an offer and accept it, a contract is formed, and no additional contract needs to be in place or signed or anything. 

Martina:
I read the contract.

That is why I said that the contract was boiler plate and had wording which doesn't precisely match Upwork's wording in some places.

But there is no circumvention as long as the client obeys all of Upwork's rules, including paying through Upwork.

The contract states:

"Client will pay to Contractor via.... other electronic payment processor as agreed to by both parties..."

The phrase "other electronic payment processor" in this contract refers to Upwork.

Using this contract does not violate Upwork's rules.

Upwork specifically allows clients and freelancers to enter into additional contracts aside from Upwork's default user agreements and freelancer/client contract.

As Martina points out, additional contracts are NOT necessary.

But they are allowed and it is not unusual to use them.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members