🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client sends link to Google Drive - permitted...
Page options
8b104e32
Community Member

Client sends link to Google Drive - permitted?

Hi, everyone - I put in a proposal for a job here on Upwork. The client sent me a link to a website with more of the job details, and the link to a Google Drive file that I would request access to.

Is this permitted under Upwork guidelines, or do I need to flag this? 

6 REPLIES 6
wescowley
Community Member

Erin R wrote:

Hi, everyone - I put in a proposal for a job here on Upwork. The client sent me a link to a website with more of the job details, and the link to a Google Drive file that I would request access to.

Is this permitted under Upwork guidelines, or do I need to flag this? 

As long as there are no contact details being shared, then yes, it's fine. It's common to share gdrive links to files to review, for example, for an editing job.

But since you're new, be careful. It's common for scammers to bury instructions in offsite documents that would get a job taken down if they posted those in chat. If that doc has instructions for interviewing through video, Telegram, etc., or buying equipment, or paying off the platform,  or anything odd like that, flag the job and walk away.

Thanks, Wes. I'm uncertain about whether to open the Google Drive file because we've not yet agreed on a contract, and because they would see my email address. 

Tip for clients:

If you are thinking about having a prospective hire use Google Drive before even hiring them:

Don't.

Because A LOT OF FREELANCERS are not going to jump through those hoops.

PERSONALLY: I am going to assume that you are a scammer or schemer. Or both.

I'm thinking: Maybe (5% chance) you are a sincere client who simply doesn't know what you're doing. But probably a scammer.

So if you want to maximize your success in hiring, and you don't want to drive away potentially great freelancers... Put your job details in the job posting. If there is something you don't want to post there, you can send it to the freelancer using the Upwork Messages tool.

Erin R wrote:

Thanks, Wes. I'm uncertain about whether to open the Google Drive file because we've not yet agreed on a contract, and because they would see my email address. 

If this is supposed to be a  document you're going to be working on, you can ask them to send a PDF for evaluation.

2a1ecb10
Community Member

I'm in a similar situation. The job post was vague, so I asked for more details. But they just responded with the google link and asked to add my name even though I haven’t agreed to anything yet, and still don’t' even know the full details of the job. I've asked again and I guess we shall see what they say. 

What's your opinion/advice on this? I'm new but have already come across potential scams and almost got scammed for a job. For legit employers, why is it so difficult for them to add details? I don’t have time for games, I have got bills to pay and a genuine desire to progress into a career at some point (if luck permits). 

It's so disheartening! 

Probably a scam.

Definitely a TOS violation that could jeopardize your account.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members