🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client shared contact details in an "invite-o...
Page options
faranshahbazkhan
Community Member

Client shared contact details in an "invite-only" posting

I received an invite and only happen to see a cover message upon accepting the invite, and the client had shared "contact number" on the "cover message" section of the invite.

The client had also posted a link to a "social media page" which said "contact" on the posting, and like every other majority of freelancer upon receiving an interview invite I was in a rush to accept it before diving into the details. Yes, I learnt my lesson to check the descriptions and details before rushing into any interview invites. 

My question is, 

Will it affect my profile by any means or chances that I had accepted the invitation for the interview from a new client who had shared his/her personal contact number on the cover message? 

I have since then withdrawn my proposal. I really do try to comply with rules and regulations.

Thanks

Regards 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Faran S wrote:

Will it affect my profile by any means  

No. You didn't do anything wrong. You could have just told the new client that you'd be happy to discuss the project, but according to Upwork's terms of services all communication will have to remain on Upwork until a contract has been established. 

In fact, that would have been even better than just withdrawing. The (new) client may have been simply unaware of Upwork's rules.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
petra_r
Community Member

Faran S wrote:

Will it affect my profile by any means  

No. You didn't do anything wrong. You could have just told the new client that you'd be happy to discuss the project, but according to Upwork's terms of services all communication will have to remain on Upwork until a contract has been established. 

In fact, that would have been even better than just withdrawing. The (new) client may have been simply unaware of Upwork's rules.

Thanks, Petra, I didn't know we could still continue with the conversation once the personal contact information is shared, it's just that "Upwork" is too strict with these violations and there's always a worry of getting your account suspended, hence to avoid any conflict I just preferred to withdraw the proposal. 

You're right I could've educated the client. However, I do tend to go along safe to be assured of my account's safety as well. I have a few lucrative on-going contracts that I don't want to have a "pause" on for certainly "not following terms and conditions". I hope you do understand my concern too, now that you've cleared it won't have any impact or warnings to me, I can continue to educate clients like these in the future. 

I do, however, read accounts getting suspended prior to any warnings received, I don't know if that's true either? (This is totally out of context and asked just for my own knowledge)

Faran wrote:

it's just that "Upwork" is too strict with these violations and there's always a worry of getting your account suspended, hence to avoid any conflict I just preferred to withdraw the proposal. 

Think about it logically.... Upwork do all that to prevent circumvention. Now, what do you think could make Upwork more suspicious:

1. You saying very clearly in the message thread "No, we can only communicate on Upwork until we have a contract" 

or

2. Seeing that you have the contact details for the client, and then wirhdrawing your proposal.

What do you think someone who would want to circumvent would do?

That's why this whole set of rules is as ineffective as it is drakonian:  An honest freelancer like yourself gets frightened and withdraws their proposal for what could be a great contract. A dishonest freelancer would just contact the client outside of Upwork and nobody would be any the wiser.....

I'd suggest you flag the job post as inappropriate as well, choosing the "contact details" option

I do, however, read accounts getting suspended prior to any warnings received, I don't know if that's true either? (This is totally out of context and asked just for my own knowledge)

Sure that's true. It's not usually "for no reason" though.

Thanks petra. I hope the set of rules won't apply in my case now. Won't it be too harsh to flag the poor client now that I don't want to rule out the fact he/she probably wasn't aware of the rules.

Do you think it is more wiser to actually message and alert the client? Hope this won't cause any trouble for me (that's my main concern)

Faran S wrote:
Thanks petra. I hope the set of rules won't apply in my case now. Won't it be too harsh to flag the poor client now that I don't want to rule out the fact he/she probably wasn't aware of the rules.

Do you think it is more wiser to actually message and alert the client? Hope this won't cause any trouble for me (that's my main concern)

Probably best to just leave well enough alone now 🙂

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths