🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client split job into two milestones but didn...
Page options
magnumrex24
Community Member

Client split job into two milestones but didn't pay second one and closed job

I had a Client that split the job into two milestones and only funded the escrow for first half but then closed the job without paying the second half. Do I have any recourse?

11 REPLIES 11
andreag22
Community Member

Did you work on the second half?

You should never work on a milestone that is not funded, sadly this will have to be a lesson learned for next time.

I usually do but I saw the first half was funded and didn't notice the second half.

petra_r
Community Member

Frank M wrote:

I had a Client that split the job into two milestones and only funded the escrow for first half but then closed the job without paying the second half. Do I have any recourse?

You don't have any recourse, but it might be an honest mistake. Speak to the client!

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Frank M.,

Did you complete the entire job quicker than you expected and submit the finished work under the first milestone?

Or do you think the client was able to finish the work herself once you had completed the first milestone?

The job was marked,

Milestone 1: "We'll provide $100 at start of project, and $100 at the end of the project" .

The client released the funds for the first part upon completion. I then messaged they didn't pay the second part and they closed the job. It's a bigger company and I thought they had good feedback. I've messaged them to no response. I am going to reach out on LinkedIn but If I don't hear back today I am going to start leaving negative feedback on their Facebook and other social pages.

re: "I am going to reach out on LinkedIn but If I don't hear back today I am going to start leaving negative feedback on their Facebook and other social pages."

I understand if you are frustrated. But do not do any of this.

If you were to contact them on LinkedIn, it would be a direct violation of Upwork TOS. You could have your Upwork account suspended or terminated.

Upwork prohibits freelancers from contacting clients using non-Upwork communication methods that the client did not intentionally provide to the freelancer.

Do not leave negative reviews on social media. This is a waste of your time. It is unprofessional.

Learn from your mistake and do not make the same mistake again in the future.

The client ended up contacting me and paid what was owed. They thought they had paid in full but Upwork has a very confusing inteface which I agree.

I strongly disagree with not trying to contact a client outside of Upwork if there was an issue. I had a long term client whose account was set up through the owner of a large business but  a lower level employee ran the account and then that employee left the company in the middle of a large project with no replacement. I reached out through linkedin and the problem was resolved. Upwork doesn't want you to reach out because they are afraid of you trying to get around using their payment system.

I also partially disagree that leaving negative feedback is unprofessional. I'm not talking about a profanity laced tirade. But leaving a negative review of a bad experience is what reviews are for.

Frank,

Sometimes the only way to learn how things work on Upwork is to make mistakes.

In hindsight, the best way to handle this would be to have the client fund and release Milestone 1 when the project began and also have them fund Milestone 2 before beginning work. Then submit the completed work on the funded Milestone 2 via the "Submit" button on the project page.

I hope your client sees the error of their ways and pays you in full, but it's best to leave clients as little freedom as possible in complying with what they have agreed to.
prestonhunter
Community Member

Frank, you have no recourse through Upwork. The client did not violate any Upwork rules. Clients may end a contract at any time.

It is possible for you to talk to the client. Clients are allowed to make bonus payments when a contract is closed.

But for me, personally, I am glad when contracts are over. When a contract is closed, I focus on other (still open) contracts, or getting new work. I don't try to get money from clients who have closed contracts and do not currently need my help.

I wasn't trying to get money for work not done. Does this happen to you often? Starting jobs and not being full paid? That seems like a bad business model. I haven't had an issue with being paid on Upwork in years but if it does I'm not going to just accept it without trying to rectify the situtation.

re: "Does this happen to you often?"

Simply do work only for funded milestones.

Then this won't be an issue.

I am glad that your client was ultimately an honest person and that you were paid.

If you made sure the milestone was funded before you did the work, you would have been paid even if your client had died or inherited millions of dollars and moved to a remote island with no Internet access.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths