🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client started the work and closed contract o...
Page options
03aeb2b3
Community Member

Client started the work and closed contract once they received work.

The client hired me to edit two professional statements and opened the contract as an hourly rate. He said he needed it ASAP because he had to turn it in. Seems like he hired myself and another to see which one he would get faster. I started the work and wrote for 2 hours straight. Then when I went to send him the work. He closed the contract before I could log hours. This really seems unfair and unethical.

8 REPLIES 8
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Client started the work and closed contract once they received work."

That is what clients are supposed to do.

re: "I started the work and wrote for 2 hours straight. Then when I went to send him the work. He closed the contract before I could log hours. This really seems unfair and unethical."

You used Upwork incorrectly.

You are supposed to log your time while you work.

A client may close a contract at any time.

It is not Upwork's intention that a freelancer log time the next day or at the end of the day. One logs time while working.

I learned the hard way. Thanks

tlsanders
Community Member

It is unfair and unethical. 

Normally, if you logged your hours properly or the fixed price funds were in escrow, your payment would be protected (to a degree, at least).

However, another thing that is unfair and unethical is academic fraud, which violates Upwork's TOS. Probably they won't be able to help you even if the contract was properly funded because the job itself is against the rules and they would have removed if if they'd seen it.

Hey you're right. It was written and I helped edit it but I didn't think of it like that. Thanks 

bobafett999
Community Member

If you know the school they are going, you can hurt them by writing it to the Dean.

In future. Don't take these kinds of cheating assignments.  Sure we all freelancers want to make money, but we have to run our business ethically

Haha yes I know the schools and you're right. It was written and I helped edit it but I didn't think of it like that. Thanks 

Yep. I routinely see jobs where students ask for the answers to their homework, their projects to be done, and even tests to be taken on their behalf. I've seen them from all parts of the globe. I report every single one of them.

I also refuse to apply to jobs requesting that a product be reverse-engineered so that the client can sell clones. Even if those jobs don't violate any laws or intellectual property rights, it is really hard to prove that. Not something that I want on my conscience!

williamtcooper
Community Member

Hey Sheela, if you logged the hours (tracking app) you get paid via Upwork dispute otherwise you don't get paid. Contact Upwork Support if you used the app. Thanks!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members