cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Client starts disput after giving me 5 star on the contract!!

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
11 of 14

Joynul A wrote:

Can you give an explanation for the details, please?

I am not sure what there is to explain. It's not just clicking, it is also keyboard activity.

Look at your work diary. There are green bars at the bottom. Every green square is a minute during which there was activity.

If there are low activity levels (more than 2 10 minute segments with less than 5 little green squares in it per hour) then that hour is considered "low activity"

Upwork does not "calculate" activity that does not show in your work diary.

Joynul A wrote:

I have screen record there's an event I clicked mouse events 111 and keyboard activities 61. It's displaying my activity 6. 

That means that during that 10 minute segment, there were 4 full (entire) minutes with no tracked / trackable activity.

wlyonsatl
Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
12 of 14

At any rate, ABM, for time tracked by TimeTracker and judged by Upwork as valid, you should not issue a refund. You did the work and the client re-hired you twice - not exactly actions that tell me the client was not satisfied with the quality of your work.

Some clients know how to game the Upwork time-tracking system, which is not super accurate anyway. Manual time, even if "approved" by a client, is one of the areas most conducive to unfair client refusal to pay for work performed, so don't use it unless you absolutely have to AND you know and trust the client. (Yes, before anyone complains, there are valid uses of manual time. They are just less common than manual time's actual use by unsuspecting freelancers, judging by the stories we regularly see on this message board.)

Even if you are doing something for a client related to an hourly contract that doesn't absolutely require use of your keyboard or mouse, such as a phone call with the client, reading documents related to the project,, etc., take notes using your keyboard. Keep TimeTracker aware of your work for the client.

a_lipsey
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
13 of 14

Will L wrote:

At any rate, ABM, for time tracked by TimeTracker and judged by Upwork as valid, you should not issue a refund. You did the work and the client re-hired you twice - not exactly actions that tell me the client was not satisfied with the quality of your work.

Some clients know how to game the Upwork time-tracking system, which is not super accurate anyway. Manual time, even if "approved" by a client, is one of the areas most conducive to unfair client refusal to pay for work performed, so don't use it unless you absolutely have to AND you know and trust the client. (Yes, before anyone complains, there are valid uses of manual time. They are just less common than manual time's actual use by unsuspecting freelancers, judging by the stories we regularly see on this message board.)

Even if you are doing something for a client related to an hourly contract that doesn't absolutely require use of your keyboard or mouse, such as a phone call with the client, reading documents related to the project,, etc., take notes using your keyboard. Keep TimeTracker aware of your work for the client.

Agreed, Will. Not all clients are scammers either. I have allowed freelancers I hire to use manual time and they've used it respectfully and there's never been a reason to dispute it. Clients who behave like this and raise disputes are clearly running a scam for free work. Professionals who hire freelancers are, of course, paying attention to budget, but they aren't going to scam someone like this.

dhrobochaya
ABM M Member Since: Nov 24, 2016
14 of 14

I also worked with clients allowed me to add manual time and never get any problem with it. But this client!! He was so thankful to my work and time management, but just after he knew that i give him 5 star in the 3rd contract, he starts dispute for all of 3 contracts. He even blocked me, so i couldn't get chance to ask him anything.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS