brock132

Client take results of work and dont pay, responce, close job

Hello. I have a problem. I apply to job, with hourly payment. We start discuss job details in upwork message client, then we go speak to skype. I make 4 baners for his web-site, attach results to Upwork up, he asked me that i give him pictures in skype. Well in result, I give him a 4 baners, he Dont close job, I wait for 2 days, He promise that will close it at morning and after that 3 days No resopnce. I dont know what to do.

Client post 4 more jobs, at that day, when he promise me to close My.... 

My work was Hourly payment. And im fell like a fool, because "Payment Method Not Verified"

29 REPLIES 29
brock132

Oh, I apologize sincerely. I must have arranged my question in wrong topik

petra_r

Were you actually hired, with the contract appearing in "My Jobs?"

Did you properly track the hours using the time tracker?

Are those hours actually in your work diary?

If not, you need to familiarize yourself with how working on hourly jobs works.....

Never work until you are hired and have a contract in place.

Were you actually hired, with the contract appearing in "My Jobs?"

Did you properly track the hours using the time tracker?

Are those hours actually in your work diary?

All Yes

Ah OK.

When was that?

Was the client's payment method verified when you worked?

If yes you'll get paid automatically.

Whell 🙂 Clients payment method : "Payment Method Not Verified". As I understand, automaticly my work will expire in Tuesday. 

@Vitaly S wrote:

Whell 🙂 Clients payment method : "Payment Method Not Verified". As I understand, automaticly my work will expire in Tuesday. 

What do you mean "expire?"

Was the client's payment method verified when you did the work?

WHEN did you do the work? (During the current work week?)

Did you track the hours (NOT manual hours?) and did you add a memo and have decent activity in your work diary?

Then you should get paid automatically  https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063698-Weekly-Billing-Cycle-for-Hourly-Contracts

When you go to your reports tab, does it reflect anywhere? If logged this week it would be under "Work in progress"

reports.png

Was the client's payment method verified when you did the work? - No its not. Client still has and articel "payment method not verified ".

WHEN did you do the work? - Yes current work week, I have started work Tuesday at 4 PM and complete after 1 and half hour. 

Did you track the hours (NOT manual hours?) and did you add a memo and have decent activity in your work diary?

- Yes im tracked hours, with Uprok desctop app. No I dont fill any Manual hours. I add memo only when I started and after I complete I off timer, the atach work results in Upwork messages, Type "Im done".

When you go to your reports tab, does it reflect anywhere? If logged this week it would be under "Work in progress" - in atach

As I understand. I have to get a notification if client close the job, he will leave me an Testimonial. I understand that I will pay after some time. I woried that he dont close job...my work in on his site already 🙂

go into your work diary and edit the memo for the work done to explain exactly what you were working on (in  sentence)

That way you should get paid even if the client's payment method failed. Was there any warning telling you to not work on the contract? Is the contract "on hold" in your "My work" tab?

SO i need to add Manual time and Type that im done. Or edit memo that i have already ?

Looks like work is still in progress, but client sad his pleased in work and put my baners on his website already

no, edit the memo to describe the work you did for the client. That is what the memo is there for.

Read the link I sent. The 1.5 hours you did will be automatically billed to the client on Monday, but if his payment method is not verified the money will not be paid. 'IF' the client's payment method was verified when you first started you will still be paid under the guarantee, but you need a correct memo.

There is nothing more you can or need to do (once you edited the memo)

Please read up on how hourly contracts work....

Ok, Thank you. So if client dont verify his payment method, im just work for free, and nothin will be done with him for that ? He post new jobs..he will do same thin with others ?) I cannot report about he is untrusty man after Monday ?

tanner-james

The morale here is do NOT take jobs with unverified clients!

There are many, many clients who will happily get their ounce of flesh and spit you out, and to be honest Upwork should sort this out. No money deposited before posting jobs, then jog on.......

Sorry to hear about your issue, but word to the wise, in future, check the client out before you waste connects on them.

Juat out of interest, where was the client from, his location?

Hes from United Kingdom. Im understand now what fool Im was. Im just wander? hou to report about him. I will wait to Tuesday and then post His name and his new jobs here, Maybe  someone can do something about. As i saw he posted 4 new works, all hourly payment, I think he thinks hes invincible 🙂

just checked, He postet real major works, all hourly payment..i think  He is Fraud. Payment method still dont verified. And some people start work with him on new projects

Well, that seriosly jobs. SEO, Add word, Managment of website. Hou I can Pay attention to admins, because people are doing big work for him right nou, and can be stay with nothin

**edited for Community Guidelines**

I think that strange part, about "

Hourly Job

Less than 30 hrs/week
3 to 6 months" This, if you pay attention, he place this kind of time on every job

Anonymous User
Not applicable
This widget could not be displayed.

@Vitaly S wrote:

3 to 6 months" This, if you pay attention, he place this kind of time on every job

The links will be deleted soon be the moderators. I suppose the website as well is a bogus website and the clients who order something will never receive any goods. If you search for the domain in http://www.whois.com you can find name and address of the person who registrated this domain end of November. I think all his jobs offers can be flagged because they include contact info (url). Please check his website in more detail for example contact info. Is it believable he has an office at this specific address? I could explain in more detail, however, probabely will be banned from the community then. I hope this information helps you. I think the money is lost but maybe you can prove that he is a bogus client.

There is a website in UK about fraud

http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/

If you have an hourly contract which is set up properly and used properly, it is not really possible for you to be ripped off by a client who uses your work but doesn't pay for it.

Upwork has a payment guarantee policy, which it backs up.

If a contractor provides work *without* having a proper contract in place, which includes making sure the client is payment verified and making sure they work using the time-tracking software, then Upwork is not going to get them their money if the client doesn't pay them.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Preston H wrote:

If you have an hourly contract which is set up properly and used properly, it is not really possible for you to be ripped off by a client who uses your work but doesn't pay for it.

Upwork has a payment guarantee policy, which it backs up.

If a contractor provides work *without* having a proper contract in place, which includes making sure the client is payment verified and making sure they work using the time-tracking software, then Upwork is not going to get them their money if the client doesn't pay them.

That is true. However, if a bogus client engages several freelancers without any payment he has to be banned from the platform. There is a second candidate working for him as well and we soon can expect the next: "I have been scammed!"

re: "if a bogus client engages several freelancers without any payment he has to be banned from the platform"

Yes.

Any scammer client should be banned, including clients taking advantage of newbie ignorance.

Separately, all contractors should use safe practices, which includes only working for payment-verified clients.

I work for clients who are NOT payment verified when I apply to their job. I make a lot of money from such clients, but only because I ask them to become verified before I start work.

There is no reason to work for non-payment verified clients unless you just want the experience and don't care about getting paid.

Whell, Nou i will be avare of this kind of situations

It's not a scammer. It's a dropshipper. Any SEO who takes on this job is just trying to scam himself because this site will never go anywhere. It's a virual office it looks like for the address, and the products are definitely not stocked.

Real SEOs are picky about who they take on as a customer, and this guy is someone any sound SEO would avoid.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Jennifer M wrote:

It's not a scammer. It's a dropshipper. Any SEO who takes on this job is just trying to scam himself because this site will never go anywhere. It's a virual office it looks like for the address, and the products are definitely not stocked.

Real SEOs are picky about who they take on as a customer, and this guy is someone any sound SEO would avoid.

5 more job offers of this client are still available (one of them with 69 bids) and another job with somebody working for him (without having a contract/payment method not verified). 

no. 

That's not the moral of the story. Not all clients who have unverified payment methods are looking to scam us James. 

I have a client that I took on who wasn't verified when I accepted the work. 

It quickly became verified because I made sure to tell him I couldn't start work until it was. 

We still work together and he's a great client. 

Moral of the story is: If you accept work from a client that has unverified payment, tell client to get it verified so you can start working on his/her project. 

*I was told this by another freelancer, but I believe this advice can be found in the Upwork files*

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi All,

I have forwarded your reports and concerns to the appropriate department so they can review and take actions accordingly.

Thank you!

~ Valeria
Upwork

Wow, Thankyou

Why so Soon 😄 I just wanna to do some more work with him

http://joxi.ru/a2XZzoMsyyx1pr

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Vitaly S wrote:

Why so Soon 😄 I just wanna to do some more work with him

http://joxi.ru/a2XZzoMsyyx1pr

Is this the client who did not pay you? I cannot read cyrillic letters. He has still 5 "job offers" on Upwork with a lot of freelancers applying.

Yes that him, and I spoted some strange thin, when I enter another job, that his post on Upwork I see this: **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Second job is mine...And Job is not in progress, I wana report him...but I cannot do this, because I dont know hou

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

This info about client, what is that mean ? that he is Pay that ? or he need to pay that? As I understand. He dont pay or close bill, I have a flag on my job, ON HOLD.