🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client tell me to give him my bank account de...
Page options
56c1d2ae
Community Member

Client tell me to give him my bank account details to send me money !!

Hi community,

I am working on upwork around 6 month. So I have not much experience on this platfrom.

Today one client tell me to give him my bank account details to send me money outside of the upwork. I checked that client did not have payment method verified badge. When I told him to verifie his payment method, he told me it is hard for him. 

So it is safe to work with a client who had not verified payment method Badge ?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
yofazza
Community Member

Even if the client is not a scammer, paying directly is against the rules and you could get banned if found.

I mentioned "it's safe" because clients, like when you enter a store to 'look' at the products, may not be ready to hand over credit card info. So 'non-verified' means it's a new client. Or a scammer.

I'm actually more interested on you getting 4 jobs since the end of February. It's not a bad achievement at all. The bad feedback on the first job doesn't have any effect as well. May I know how many proposals you've sent? It might again confirms theories about Upwork giving more 'views' to new freelancers who completed their profiles (and put lots of items in the portfolio).

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
yofazza
Community Member

It is safe, unless the client is a scammer.

yofazza
Community Member

Even if the client is not a scammer, paying directly is against the rules and you could get banned if found.

I mentioned "it's safe" because clients, like when you enter a store to 'look' at the products, may not be ready to hand over credit card info. So 'non-verified' means it's a new client. Or a scammer.

I'm actually more interested on you getting 4 jobs since the end of February. It's not a bad achievement at all. The bad feedback on the first job doesn't have any effect as well. May I know how many proposals you've sent? It might again confirms theories about Upwork giving more 'views' to new freelancers who completed their profiles (and put lots of items in the portfolio).

56c1d2ae
Community Member

Now I understand properly.

and thank you for your knowladge sharing with us. Actually I have send around 50 proposal, then 5-6 interview and 4 jobs done.

yofazza
Community Member

That's probably a normal number of proposals for 2 months, or a low number? I don't usually look at this number when people posted their stats.

But we see your hire rate is high, at least from here. I remember posted something about high hire rate recently. I searched, and it was you actually 😅

spxpert
Community Member

Payment is not guranteed if the work is not recorded on Upwork platform.  If you want to take a risk go ahead,  but you might end up working for free.

Insist client to verify payment method and do everything on the platform,  This will indeed help you with building your profile for future projects to come.

No, do not take a risk. Forget about being scammed, do you want to lose your Upwork account? No monies can be exchanged outside of Upwork.

Verified payment means absolutely nothing. The client must fund milestones or hourly tracker escrow, BEFORE any work is started. Watching for verified payment is another excellent way to be scammed.

Following the rules has little to do with the profile. It does affect whether you can ever work on the platform again.

bobafett999
Community Member

Put your desire to work on upwork aside for a while.  If I were to ask you or any stranger were to about your bank details, would you give them to us? Think!

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Client tell me to give him my bank account details to send me money !!"

Of course a real client does not do ths.

Someone who does that is simply trying to steal your money.

If you are caught disussing such things with a client (whether a real client or a scammer), you could have your Upwork account suspended or terminated.

This is something we have learned from reading first-hand descriptions of real freelancer experiences over the years. So I want to be very clear:

Your Upwork account could be SUSPENDED simply for DISCUSSING direct bank payments with a client. Even if you don't actually receive payments.

bobafett999
Community Member

Yup..they would know that if they spend some time reading free stuff upwork has made available to new freelancers. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths