🐈 Community
anagalhetas

Client that asked for an ID card

Hi Upwork community,

Yesterday I had a client that, before contract me via Upwork asked me for my Skype id. I gave him and then he told me that he wanted to hire me but, since I am a woman, I had to give him an ID card of a man because his company only contracts men. He told me also that after I give him the ID card he will send me the NDA to be sign.
I didn't give him nothing and asked him to give the NDA before I send him the ID card. However he told he couldn't send the NDA before having the ID card.

What I want to know is that if something like this have ever happenned to any of you?

Kind Regards,
Ana

4 REPLIES 4
yowiedesign

Sounds like a scam.

I would avoid this client completely.

vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ana,

Can you please send me in a private message a screenshot of the client's request and the link to their job post? You should never shared your own or other peoples personal information publicly, and should always use Messages for your communication, especially in case of prospective clients.

Untitled

re: "I gave him and then he told me that he wanted to hire me but, since I am a woman, I had to give him an ID card of a man because his company only contracts men."

Seriously?

Are you applying to a job?

Or pitching an Eighties sitcom?

Seriously.

Ana, even if you were a man, would you want to work with a client that's gender-specific? We're out of the age where you have to create "George Sand" just to get work. Heck, I came across several "Men's magazines" that had articles written by women. Articles like "What She Wishes You Knew About Erogenous Zones". There's absolutely no reason in this day and age to exclude women from any job.

Learning Paths