cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client thinks I'm a fraud! How do I contact them?

Highlighted
Raya H Member Since: Nov 27, 2014
1 of 7

Hi everyone,

My name is Rya. I'm new here so I apologize if my question is stupid, but I really can't figure this out on my own.

I applied to a writing project and sent the client a link to my published work ( http://www.forbes.com/sites/moneybuilder/2012/04/13/are-you-afraid-to-earn-more/ ). It was filed under April Dykman's contributions but it clearly names me as the author: it says "This is a guest post by Rya Hristova". 

Anyway, the client thinks that I tried to fake it. They declined my application and wrote:

"If you're going to falsify work experience (April Dykman's Forbes Article), you may want to make it a little lower profile. Nice try, though."

This is clearly a misunderstanding. But the job is now closed and I don't know how to contact the client to clear things up.

Any ideas?

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Sheikh Ahsan A Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
2 of 7

Hi Riya, Hopefully you are a great article writer. Who is "April Dykman" ?

If this your nick name or another name you should remove or change this name. You should use same name of you oDesk profile.

It carries 65% value to think you fake.

Thanks

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 7
Ray, sorry you had a bad experience there, but there is not a lot you can do about THAT client. He clearly made a mistake (as did a forum poster who made the same mistake) by failing to see the note about you being a guest writer for April's column. But you LEARNED something, right? You learned that you can not just send people a link like that,because some are in too big a hurry to read the note on the web page. You learned that you must include with the web link an EXPLICIT note that states you are not April, but that you wrote a GUEST column for her...
Highlighted
Community Guru
Natasa M Member Since: May 8, 2014
4 of 7

I completely agree with Preston in all but one -

quote:" You learned that you must include with the web link an EXPLICIT note that states you are not April, but that you wrote a GUEST column for her."

I mean , it is your choice. I wouldn't.

If you are a writer, you don't really want to work with somebody who is functionally illiterate to that level( illiteracy in itself is not a problem-the problem is that client is completely unaware of the fact that s/he is illiterate and plus makes false accusations based on the lack of knowledge.)  You should be wary of working for somebody who has such a great problem in  understanding the basic context, because that client will grade your work at the end of the contract and do you really want  your writing to to be evaluated by someone like that?

I don't think so.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Susan B Member Since: Mar 28, 2009
5 of 7

I'd say the ship has sailed on that client.

But going forward, one suggestion is that you might want to make sure you don't spell your first name two different ways. It's a bit suspicious looking. I realize it's just a transliteration and you don't use it yourself very often, but keep it consistant!!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Gillian Michele N Member Since: Mar 15, 2012
6 of 7

You could possibly ask customer support to contact the client on your behalf, but they may not see it as a priority or as appropriate.

Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do about this situation. You'll have to just apply for other roles.

All the best.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
7 of 7

Hi Raya,

I say good riddance! Consider yourself lucky that the client showed how incredibly dense they are as early as the interview process. Those are the kind of people you would not want to be working with.

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS