🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client threatening to take legal action again...
Page options
acf7dead
Community Member

Client threatening to take legal action against me

Hi I was invited by a designer to develop a website from figma to wordpress. I signed a contract and told her it will take 48 hours. Then the designer making new breakpoints for 1440x, 1000px, 700px and  which wasn't discussed.

I overall logged 73 hours and develop the page. Once all done she said I should do 350px as well but I simple do not have time to do that and I ended the contract.

She had 5 days to review work and she cleared the payment after seeing my hours. 

Now she requested a refund of 20 hours and threating me to refund or else she would hire a lawyer because her new developer says the work quality is not good?

I spoke with upwork agent and they said its up to you if you want to refund or not but she cant dispute hours because the time is up.

Please help me, I am worried and felt threatened what if she hires a lawyer and they contact me directly?

Please see screenshot

I only used upwork and upwork is responsible for my safety.
Thank You

**Edited for community guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Ayesha L wrote:

Please follow my point. She is blaming me for bad code because she hired a new developer and he didn't liked our work? 

It doesn't matter. If you logged time last week, that time can be disputed.

Manual time is not protected.

The End.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
yitwail
Community Member

Ayesha, I saw the screenshot before it was removed, but the client saying 'please stop' doesn't look like a threat of legal action. Be that as it may, the client's review of your performance made mention of Syed, who apparently did some or all of your work? If that's the case, the client probably has a legitimate grievance, because aside from special circumstances, subcontracting hourly work is frowned upon by Upwork TOS.

Ayesha L wrote:

Thank You

The above quote is where you've gone wrong. Upwork is responsible for payment protection. They are not responsible for your safety. 

lysis10
Community Member

Ayesha L wrote:

Hi I was invited by a designer to develop a website from figma to wordpress. I signed a contract and told her it will take 48 hours. Then the designer making new breakpoints for 1440x, 1000px, 700px and  which wasn't discussed.

I overall logged 73 hours and develop the page. Once all done she said I should do 350px as well but I simple do not have time to do that and I ended the contract.

She had 5 days to review work and she cleared the payment after seeing my hours. 

Now she requested a refund of 20 hours and threating me to refund or else she would hire a lawyer because her new developer says the work quality is not good?

I spoke with upwork agent and they said its up to you if you want to refund or not but she cant dispute hours because the time is up.

Please help me, I am worried and felt threatened what if she hires a lawyer and they contact me directly?

Please see screenshot

Thank You

You're not supposed to outsource hourly contracts. I hope that other guy Syed wasn't logging into your account and using tracker or you're about to have a hard time if the client points this out to Upwork.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ayesha,

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with one of your clients. I'd suggest that you report individual messages that may be violating Upwork TOS using the flag option in Messages. Also, please check the information about the dispute process here. 

Our agent already reached out to you via this support ticket. Please consider following up on your open ticket and kindly communicate with our team through that ticket if you have any questions, in order to keep all the information in one place.

~ Bojan
Upwork
acf7dead
Community Member

Nobody is logging hours for me I logged hours for myself. Syed is my husband and he was helping me only I wasn't feeling well so I asked my husband to take the call only once as I was on medical appointment and the dr told me not to take any work pressure. 

Whenever I say something she says I am harassing her and I am disrespecting her which is very annoying because I never did that.

Also, my contract was with a client name rachel who was a designer and now the contract person was changed and she appeared isn't that a violation of upwork too?

I am worried now as I worked really hard for my portfolio. She claims her new developer thinks our work is useless and rubbish so we should refund her?

I offered her up to $300 but she is saying refund me for 20 hours which is $800.

What should I do?
Thank you

petra_r
Community Member

Ayesha L wrote:

She claims her new developer thinks our work is useless and rubbish so we should refund her?

I offered her up to $300 but she is saying refund me for 20 hours which is $800.

The thing is, the client says that other people were working on the project and that you even had to fire someone. 

You even say "our work".

Bottom line: Did you use the tracker and tracked all time with meaningful work memos and high activity levels etc? 

That's what this dispute would boil down to. Correctly tracked hours: You get paid.

Manual time or missing memos or similar: Client wins.

acf7dead
Community Member

Please follow my point. She is blaming me for bad code because she hired a new developer and he didn't liked our work?  Why she didn't hire someone when I was in contract? She kept throwing new designs which isn't possible for me to do as I have other projects going on. She believes that whenever she says should be ready in next 5-10 hours? She didn't even respected my timezone. I live in NY and she is in Californina. And now all these threeats? Unbeliavable.

I only want my hourly protection, I logged hours myself self they are manual hours which were agreed and she even sent me a screenshot of that. She had 5 days after every week to review now she cant dispute and shes asking me for refund?

unfair

rverang
Community Member

Ayesha L wrote:

I only want my hourly protection, I logged hours myself self they are manual hours which were agreed and she even sent me a screenshot of that.

Agreed or not, manual hours are not protected.

petra_r
Community Member

Ayesha L wrote:

Please follow my point. She is blaming me for bad code because she hired a new developer and he didn't liked our work? 

It doesn't matter. If you logged time last week, that time can be disputed.

Manual time is not protected.

The End.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

If you believe you did the work you were hired to do and you did it well, don't refund any amount.

And ignore the threat of legal action, unless you and the client are located in the same city or state and it's a place where lawyers and lawsuits are cheap.

alphazomgy
Community Member

Lesson learned: never use manual time ever again. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members