🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client took my work and didn't pay me.
Page options
bhindadeepanshu
Community Member

Client took my work and didn't pay me.

Hello,
A client hired me 2 months ago and i agree for terms and condition. Then after accepting his offer, he provided me a task which was not mentioned on job post. I tried to do that thing and sent him the code to test because i did not have that device, as soon as he taken the code, he was not responding to my texts and suddenly ended the contract without informing me and told code is of no use. Then i ask him to pay me but he ask to first refund his amount and he will create new offer for the payment and he did but didn't pay me. So i request upwork community to go through it because i have really worked on it and gave him the code. Contract id is 22675590.

Thanks and Regards,
Deepanshu bhinda

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Deepanshu,

I`m sorry to hear about the bad experience you had. Please keep in mind that our Fixed Price protections does not cover unfunded milestones or promised funds. To learn more how you`re protected under our Fixed Price Protection check out this Help Article.
Our team will also investigate your client further and take proper actions. If you have any additional questions let me know. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
hoyle_editing
Community Member

Why on earth would you refund him so he can make a new offer?

If you have a contract with a client and you complete the work then the client releases the funded payments from the milestone. If you and the client agree another amount other than your agreemant then the client can pay you less or more depending on what has been agreed. 

If you have agreed to the clients refund then there is little you can do - you agreed to return the money in escrow! 

So are you saying the client has now made another offer, i.e. a new contract with you?

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Deepanshu,

I`m sorry to hear about the bad experience you had. Please keep in mind that our Fixed Price protections does not cover unfunded milestones or promised funds. To learn more how you`re protected under our Fixed Price Protection check out this Help Article.
Our team will also investigate your client further and take proper actions. If you have any additional questions let me know. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thank you for your respose, yes i had a bad experience and i completely agree that i will not get my money back, but i just wanted to know upwork comm. that this kind of thing happened with me and to be honest, upwork is the best,best platform to work. I just need to make sure that client must pay other free lancer as he took my code and didnt pay me and ended the contract, i left with no other option so i approved that. COz he was being rude and fake promise me about funds like my financial department having an issue or something
That is the loss which i have faced, but i dont want same thing happen with other person..

Thanks and Upwork is the best

Sorry it sounds like you got stung on his contract. In future, only work on FUNDED milestones. This way the client has already paid.

If you have done the work then do not refund the money because 'they are having difficulties', they have already paid and you have already earned the money.

It is not your job to sort out the clients financial problems (or whatever other excuse they give)

Thanks Jonathan for your response, yes the contract was funded and he was just making an excuse, this is the first time that kind of thing happened with me so i didnt know about how can i took an action against him, so thats why i approved for end contract and learned a lesson.
Just want upwork to take this thing as a consideration, However, i completely trust upwork ToC. 
Thank you

Hello,

The client I was working for took all the articles that I wrote for him and did not pay me the amount we agreed on. He only paid me 5 dollars of 55. I can't send him messages. Please, can someone help me?

Nikolovska:

It sounds like you used Upwork incorrectly.

Was this a fixed-piece contract? And you worked on the articles without the milestone for them being fully funded in escrow?

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members