🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Client trying to scam me?
Page options
gary_searle
Community Member

Client trying to scam me?

First off, I am new to Upwork and it was difficult to even find out to report a problem or a client. My first client asked me to interview through Skype messages and was asking for my personal information like my Email, Adressm and full name. Also, he was saying I woulf not be paid through Upwork saying they payed some type of fee to Upwork. Here is his link

**Edited for community guidelines**

I am hooing I can get my connects back becasue this is a fake job posting? Also I am not sure exactly how to report this client because I am sure they are scamming other new freelancers like myself. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for flagging this job to us, Gary.

I've checked and the job has already been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork ToS and action has been taken on the client account. 

Also, I checked and the connects you used for sending a proposal for this project were already refunded to you. This you can check under Connects History

Please, check this help article for more information on how to use the flag option found on each job post or message to report any suspicious or inappropriate content. Also, check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
data_divas
Community Member

Yes it's a scam, earnings are ALWAYS paid on Upwork.  The job is no longer avaiable.

Julie J wrote:

Yes it's a scam, earnings are ALWAYS paid on Upwork.  The job is no longer avaiable.

Not true.

7.2 OPTING OUT

You may opt-out of the obligation in Section 7.1 with respect to each Upwork Relationship only if the Client or prospective Client or Freelancer pays Upwork an opt-out fee for each such relationship (the “Opt-Out Fee”).
The Opt-Out Fee is computed as follows
(a) interest at the rate of 18% per annum or the maximum rate permitted by applicable law, whichever is less, on the amount calculated in (b), from the date Client first makes payment to the subject Freelancer until the date the Opt-Out Fee is paid; and
(b) the greater of:
(i) $3,500; or
(ii) 25% of the anticipated annualized salary or wages for one year if the Client offers Freelancer employment directly; or
(iii) all Service Fees that would be earned by Upwork from the Upwork Relationship during the Non-Circumvention Period, computed based on the annualized amount earned by Freelancer from Client during the most recent normalized 8-week period, or during such shorter period as data is available to Upwork;
(iv) provided, however, that if the amount in (ii) and (iii) cannot be ascertained due to uncertainty or lack of sufficient information, then Upwork and you agree that fee shall be $3,500; if only one of (ii) or (iii) can be ascertained, then Upwork and you agree that amount shall be used if it is greater than $3,500.
To pay the Opt-Out Fee, you must request instructions by sending an email message to optoutfee@upwork.com.
If Upwork determines, in its sole discretion, that you have violated Section 7, Upwork or its Affiliates may, to the maximum extent permitted by law (x) charge your Payment Method the Opt-Out Fee (including interest) if permitted by law or send you an invoice for the Opt-Out Fee (including interest), which you agree to pay within 30 days, (y) close your Account and revoke your authorization to use the Site and Site Services, and/or (z) charge you for all losses and costs (including any and all time of Upwork’s employees) and reasonable expenses (including attorneys’ fees) related to investigating such breach and collecting such fees.

Jennifer R wrote:

Julie J wrote:

Not true.

7.2 OPTING OUT

You may opt-out of the obligation in Section 7.1 with respect to each Upwork Relationship only if the Client or prospective Client or Freelancer pays Upwork an opt-out fee for each such relationship (the “Opt-Out Fee”).
The Opt-Out Fee is computed as follows
(a) interest at the rate of 18% per annum or the maximum rate permitted by applicable law, whichever is less, on the amount calculated in (b), from the date Client first makes payment to the subject Freelancer until the date the Opt-Out Fee is paid; and
(b) the greater of:
(i) $3,500; or
(ii) 25% of the anticipated annualized salary or wages for one year if the Client offers Freelancer employment directly; or
(iii) all Service Fees that would be earned by Upwork from the Upwork Relationship during the Non-Circumvention Period, computed based on the annualized amount earned by Freelancer from Client during the most recent normalized 8-week period, or during such shorter period as data is available to Upwork;
(iv) provided, however, that if the amount in (ii) and (iii) cannot be ascertained due to uncertainty or lack of sufficient information, then Upwork and you agree that fee shall be $3,500; if only one of (ii) or (iii) can be ascertained, then Upwork and you agree that amount shall be used if it is greater than $3,500.
To pay the Opt-Out Fee, you must request instructions by sending an email message to optoutfee@upwork.com.
If Upwork determines, in its sole discretion, that you have violated Section 7, Upwork or its Affiliates may, to the maximum extent permitted by law (x) charge your Payment Method the Opt-Out Fee (including interest) if permitted by law or send you an invoice for the Opt-Out Fee (including interest), which you agree to pay within 30 days, (y) close your Account and revoke your authorization to use the Site and Site Services, and/or (z) charge you for all losses and costs (including any and all time of Upwork’s employees) and reasonable expenses (including attorneys’ fees) related to investigating such breach and collecting such fees.

I stand corrected, thanks Jennifer! My answer was boiled down to warn Newbies since they are easily fooled and scammed so it was overly simplistic.

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I am hooing I can get my connects back becasue this is a fake job posting?"

YES.

If you click the "Flag as inappropriate" link button in the upper right hand corner of the job posting, then you can report this job. In the text box, provide some of the details you mentioned here in your post.

Upwork will remove the job, and you will automatically receive your connects back.

re: "...was asking for my personal information like my Email, Adress and full name."

Clients do not need that information.

re: "he was saying I would not be paid through Upwork saying they paid some type of fee to Upwork."

He was lying to you.

If you agreed to accept payment outside of Upwork, then you could have your account suspended or terminated.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for flagging this job to us, Gary.

I've checked and the job has already been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork ToS and action has been taken on the client account. 

Also, I checked and the connects you used for sending a proposal for this project were already refunded to you. This you can check under Connects History

Please, check this help article for more information on how to use the flag option found on each job post or message to report any suspicious or inappropriate content. Also, check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths