🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client unresponsive after receiving project.
Page options
8b241465
Community Member

Client unresponsive after receiving project.

Hello everyone, so i accepted this particular fixed price job from this client, the client was responsive all through when i was working on the job, after submission of the job the client suddenly disappeared, the contract is still up, but no payment made, how can i sort this out please?
8 REPLIES 8
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Joshua,

Please keep in mind that clients have 14 days to review the work and take actions from their end. After 14 days the funds will be transferred to your account if no actions are taken on the milestone. Keep in mind that if you resubmit the work again you will reset the 14 days period. To learn more details about fixed price protection, check out this Help Article. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hey Goran,

Does this apply to projects purchased through the project dashboard?

Hi Georgina,

That is correct! Catalog projects work the same as a Fixed Price contract with one milestone.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork

I believe 14 days it´s way too long for a client to review a our work.

Right now, I am on the same boat but with the different this was actually the second milestone. On the first one, there was no issue, the client even released the payment after a couple of days after creating the second milestone.

I delivered the work 10 days ago and I haven´t heard back from him since.

Again, 14 days seems like a bit too much time for someone to go over a work.

I propose that different periods based on the number of connects since job offers with the most connects are usually the most appealing and larger in scale. These are the ones that should be set to 14 days.

re: "I believe 14 days is way too long for a client to review a our work."

Okay... But everybody who agrees to work on a fixed-price contract knows that the review period is 14 days (if they read the documentation or notes about fixed-price contracts).

So it's not a surprise. If you don't agree with this time period, then you have options:

- Don't use fixed-price contracts

[or]

- State in your original negotiation with the client how much time YOU allow a client to review submitted work, and then if the client doesn't respond within your deadline, close the contract and stop working with the client.

Preston H wrote:

- State in your original negotiation with the client how much time YOU allow a client to review submitted work, and then if the client doesn't respond within your deadline, close the contract and stop working with the client.

And don't get paid at all... 

How is that a viable alternative to being paid after 14 days?

re: "How is that a viable alternative to being paid after 14 days?"

I wouldn't do it myself.

I think it puts things in perspective.

What if somebody really, really does not like the idea of waiting 14 days? But is waiting 14 days really so bad? Does anyone dislike a 14-day wait enough to close a contract and forfeit an escrow payment over it?

I probably should have listed an additional, more realistic and viable option for freelancers who hate long waits:

"If a client does not release escrow payments to you within an acceptable amount of time, then after you get your payment, you can choose to not accept any more assignments from the client. You may choose to close a contract and not accept any new fixed-price contracts from a client who takes too much time to release payments."

Preston H wrote:

Does anyone dislike a 14-day wait enough to close a contract and forfeit an escrow payment over it?

Of course not, which is why the suggestion doesn't make any sense.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members