🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Client unresponsive in the last 24+ hrs
Page options
draganchev
Community Member

Client unresponsive in the last 24+ hrs

Hello everyone,

I have a few questions regarding my problem but first let me describe the situation.

On Sunday, January the 17th 2021 a client has sent me an invitation to take a look at the job they've posted. It is an hourly job regarding an interior design, less than 30hrs a week, less than 1 month, entry level. I have accepted an invitation, submitted a proposal and asked the client a few questions for start. We started messaging to what I think is an interview, we made a contract and settled with the terms and then I started working on it. The term was not to exceed 5hrs a week but due to my computer glitching a lot (probably a processor or graphic card, eventhough I bouhgt it six months ago and it should still work fine and I did not expect that) I have well exceeded that time. However, I did take a considering that it was not my clients fault so I suggested that he doesn't have to pay for any ammount over the exceeded limit and that he could pay just 50% of the rest if he decides to choose me for the next project, when he decides to do so (meaning he doesn't have to pay for it at all, if he doesn't want to) - to which he wrote: "That is reasonable to me". I have continued working on it untill he told me that they have a pretty good idea at this point and that I've been superhelpful. The last line was me saying: "Well, in that case - I believe my work in this stage is done 🙂 when can I expect this stage enclosure and payment?" (almost two days ago) - to which I did not get an answer nor the ending of the contract, it's just standing there as a not finished work. I have sent him all the files needed because we have made a contract first.

So my questions are:

1. Is there anything that I did wrong (except the far-exceeding the time limit to which we have made an agreement that I have previously described) and how do you suggest I correct that?

2. What do you think I should do next? Would it be ok if I end the contract and what would happen next if I do?

Sorry for my grammar mistakes, I'm trying to improve that 🙂

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Dragana V wrote:

He was charged exactly what we agreed for in the contract, despite me exceeding the hours, we have agreed for it.

I see, so the client set a weekly limit, and any hours in excess of the weekly limit aren't charged anyway. So everything else from here on will be automatic.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
petra_r
Community Member

Do you have an hourly contract and did you use the Upwork tracker to track your hours?

If you worked the hourly contract correctly and used the tracker, you get paid automatically.

Yes and yes.

Dragana V wrote:

Yes and yes.

Then you get paid for (all) the hours you tracked automatically according to the weekly billing cycle.

If you don't want to be paid for all the hours, you can go to the work diary of the contract and delete excess hours, which will mean the client won't get charged.

Unless you do that, the client will be charged for all the hours that you tracked.

I think the client was already billed for the hours that we have settled for in the contract, despite that I didn't delete any screenshots from my working diary. I just read in the section: Reports (home page) / In review : **,*$. Does that mean that I did get payed (well, not now but will be in some bussiness days) and what does it mean when it comes to ending the contract? What does it mean, in general? Sorry for lots of questions, I'm practically a newbie so I don't understand many things (as one can see).

Dragana V wrote:

Reports (home page) / In review : **,*$. Does that mean that I did get payed 

Yes, that means the client was charged.

Dragana V wrote:

what does it mean when it comes to ending the contract? What does it mean, in general? 

Read about it here.

That doesn't solve the problem that the client was charged more than you agreed...

He was charged exactly what we agreed for in the contract, despite me exceeding the hours, we have agreed for it. I just didn't write the amount but we did follow the contract.

Dragana V wrote:

He was charged exactly what we agreed for in the contract, despite me exceeding the hours, we have agreed for it.

I see, so the client set a weekly limit, and any hours in excess of the weekly limit aren't charged anyway. So everything else from here on will be automatic.

I'm assuming so but can you, please, tell me what does that mean in the terms of ending the contract/job and what do you suggest I should do next?

Let the client end the contract so you get feedback. If the client doesn't appear again for a couple of weeks, you may want to end the contract yourself.

Thank you very much for a helpful information!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths